The Senior Platform Engineer for DBaaS assist the The Staff Platform Engineer for DBaaS to realize the product vision. The Senior Platform Engineer for DBaaS contributes to designing and delivering solutions that leverage database products for consumption by teams inside bp, spanning Application Development activity through to Application Maintenance and Operations. The Senior Platform Engineer for DBaaS acts a subject matter expert on the commercial and open source relational and NoSQL database engines provided by the platform team.
Essential Experience and Job Requirements
- Evangelizes and sells technical aspects of the DBaaS platform and engineering capability.
- Consult with customers on the best use of the DBaaS platform, demonstrating knowledge of the DBaaS Professional Services service offerings and products
- Consult and deliver on the DBaaS Professional Services service offerings. Active participation in Engineering Kanban and/or Client scrum calls.
- Assess and communicate status, issues, risks and deliverables to stakeholders.
- Review DBaaS product designs and provide subject matter expertise guidance to product team Test DBaaS solutions prior to release to customers
- Work with DBaaS operations team to ensure knowledge transfer between Engineering and Operations.
- Proactively provide product suggestions to improve DBaaS product line based on customer requirements.
- Develops ITIL process automation (Release, Event, Capacity, Incident, Request Fulfillment)
- Implement service lines, shared services, and enhancements (upgrades, patches, configuration)
- Review customer implementations and guide Managed Services team members on most efficient solution to address technical and business objectives.
- Mentor Platform Engineers and Database Engineers.
- Develop, implement, and maintain standards, documentation, and repeatable processes for Engineering activities
- Advanced technical mastery of relational database engines, including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Azure SQL Database, and Azure SQL PaaS offerings.
- Advanced proficiency in solution architecture and design, including ability to identify technical solutions and risks applicable to the situation.
- Advanced proficiency in cloud component architecture, including Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills, including speaking to people via phone and meaningfully conveying ideas via e-mail.
- Advanced presentation skills, including presentation and training related to Database Engineering service offerings and products.
- Advanced administration and troubleshooting skills for relational database engine, including database maintenance, account maintenance, performance tuning, capacity planning, and monitoring.
- Proficient in Key-value, In-memory, Document, Wide-column, Graph, Time Series, Ledger database engines Proficient in using the Atlassian suite of tools, including JIRA, Confluence, and Bitbucket.
- Proficient in Agile / Scrum development methodology. Proficient in task creation, assignment, tracking, and closure. Proficient in problem management, including receipt, route, and escalation of problems.
- Proficient in use of productivity tools, including Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft SharePoint.
- Proficient in change management concepts and processes.
- Proficient in server hardware, networking, operating systems, and storage area networks Ability to understand and willingness to follow the team operating model Ability to write, debug, and enhance SQL. Ability to write, debug, and enhance TSQL or PLSQL.
- Ability to create, update, debug, and enhance automation scripts in PowerShell and Python.
- Ability to use REST and GraphQL APIs and how to call then in our scripting languages.
- Customer focused with a passion for continuous improvement at the team level. Eagerness to keep abreast of latest database related platforms in the cloud.
- Continuously Identify opportunities for new services or service design improvements.