A Discipline of technology and software specialists providing innovative, custom built or customized software and technical platforms to BP colleagues and external users. Primary activities will be in the development, customization, testing and support of IT applications and platforms, as well as contribution to technical designs. Software Engineers will focus on software and application build supporting specific business requirements or enabling functions. Platform Engineers will focus on underpinning or enabling technology platforms with a lens on volume, capacity, performance, stability, integrity and high availability.
- Develop, launch, and debug ServiceNow applications and also cloud-based applications
- Focus on scalability, hands-on coding or customization contribution, adherence to software engineering best practices (e.g. technical design, design review, unit testing, monitoring & alerting, code version management, code review, technical documentation).
- Focus on testing and deployment of software or platforms via CI/CD pipeline that meet privacy and compliance requirements, and that follow site reliability engineering best practices.
- Support a fast and agile product release while maintaining high service reliability following site-reliability engineering best practices: on-call rotations for services they maintain, responsible for defining and maintaining SLAs.
- Contribute to ideas for automation, continual improvement and simplification
- Support development and training for citizen developers within bp in support of wider technology adoption and bp’s digitalisation journey
Essential Education & Experience:
- Bachelors (or higher) degree, ideally in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics or a hard science
- Proven proficiency in dealing with complex technical issues in an application environment
- Experience working with a rapid development methodology, in particular Agile/Scrum or DevOps software development.
- Experience in designing, planning, implementing, maintaining and documenting reliable and scalable server-side software or platforms in complex environments.
- Experience in designing and development of custom scope applications and ServiceNow core applications such as Incident, Problem, Change and Service Catalog
- Experience Business Rules, Workflow, Script Includes, UI Actions, Scheduled Jobs - all scripted and development aspects on the ServiceNow platform
- Experience on Web Services Integration (SOAP, REST, and JSON) and good understanding of web programming (CSS, HTML)
- Good understanding of supporting tools and technologies such as LDAP, SSO and Identity Management, Automated Testing tools
- Certified ITIL v3 or v4 Foundation
- ServiceNow Certified System Administrator or Application Developer
- Experience of working in a complex multi-vendor / multi-cultural environment
- Understanding of risk management and how to remediate risks effectively
- Other implementation experience (eg. Azure, AWS, Salesforce, Mulesoft, Database, SAP, Container platforms, physical or virtual hosting platforms).