At bp, we’re reimagining energy for people and our planet. With operations working across almost every part of the energy system, we’re leading the way in reducing carbon emissions and developing more sustainable methods for solving the energy challenge.
We’re a team with varied strengths of engineers, scientists, traders and business professionals determined to find answers to problems. But we know we can’t do it alone. We’re looking for people who share our passion for reinvention to bring a fresh opinion, ambition, and to challenge our thinking in our goal to achieve net zero!
The FCC/Alkylation/Treatments Senior Process Engineer role provides domain expertise and technical support for BP’s refineries, working with site engineering and operations groups to improve process safety, reliability, and commercial performance of FCCs (Fluid Catalytic Crackers), Alkylation Units (HF and H2SO4), and Treatments Processes (Amine, Claus, Sour Water, MEROX). The primary support areas of this role are Treatments and Alklyation.
The role sits within the Engineering, Maintentance, & Relibility team within bp Solutions, and works with the FCC/Alkylation/Treatments Team Lead.
This role is part of a distributed team and supports bp’s worldwide refining portfolio. This role will need to work closely with unit engineers based in refinery support teams around the world, as well as other centrally located domain experts. The successful candidate will therefore need to be self-motivated and capable of managing themselves virtually within the geographically dispersed team.
This role can work in any bp Hub or Refinery location: Sunbury, UK; Houston, TX; Whiting, IN (preferred); Toledo, OH; Blaine, Washington; Castellon, Spain; Rotterdam, Netherlands; Gelsenkirchen, Germany; Lingen, Germany
- Support BP’s refinery assets to achieve safe, reliable, and profitable operations. Be the primary contact for multiple refineries providing technical support for Alkylation, Treatments, and FCC assets. This includes start-up, shutdown, turnaround, and problem solving support.
- Support the development of the technical capabilities of our refinery-based personnel.
- Assist in solving technical problems in Alkylation, Treatments, and FCC units, involving site-visits (if necessary)
- Provide high level support for project development, generating options to support the long-term business improvement strategies at the sites.
- Act as a convener/leader for a Community of Practice
- Stay integrated within industry-wide forums and contacts to ensure bp stays aligned with standard methodologies. Provide updates to the Handbooks/Recommended Good Practices to embed these standard processes.
- Drive implementation of industry and bp standards in the refineries balancing long-term and short-term value creation, compliance, and loss avoidance.
- Develop, share understanding, and document business critical risks. Offer potential mitigations to site personnel to align on solution and drive implementation.
Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering (or equivalent)
Crucial Experience and Job Requirements:
- Strong refining technology/operations background is required.
- Ability to interact with site customers as well as technical SMEs within bp Solutions.
- Diligent and able to keep multiple tasks moving simultaneously. Ability to manage workload in order to meet multiple deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Fully competent across all aspects of Treatments and Alkylation technologies.
- High levels of technical and interpersonal skills (including mentoring and coaching) are required
- Strong customer focus—understanding the needs of our customers and delivering solutions based on those needs. Experience supporting the success of other teams.
- 10 years of experience in refining engineering roles, with previous experience on Treatments Units and/or Alkylation. Candidate’s background should reveal a proactive track record of improving safety, reliability, and commercial performance of refining units.
- Previous on-site refining engineering experience
- Experience working with site (refinery) engineers is strongly preferred.
- Working experience with process unit modelling (Petro-Sim, HYSYS, BRE Pro-Max, Sulsim)
- Knowledge of Continuous Improvement (CI) techniques, Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCA), and/or Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Experience with management of change (MoC) and process safety methodologies such as Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP), Layer of Protection (LOPA), and Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR)
- Awareness of capital project development and execution using a staged-gate process.
- An understanding of commercial impact from refining unit performance and how this affects operating strategy.
Considering Joining bp?
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and exciting environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. bp is committed to encouraging an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly. There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, excellent retirement benefits, and more!