Technology and software specialists providing innovative, custom built or customized software and technical platforms to BP colleagues and external users. Primary activities will be in the development, customization, testing and support of IT applications and platforms, as well as contribution to technical designs. You will develop and test software with a focus on software defined infrastructure, creating automated processes for the software manufacturing lifecycle which may be full CI/CD pipelines or sub-components for build and deployment depending on the platform technology in use.
You will be part of bp’s Data & Analytics Platform organisation, the group responsible for the platforms and services that operate bp’s big data supply chain. The portfolio covers technologies that support the life cycle of critical data products in bp, bringing together data producers and consumers through enablement and industrial scale operations of data ingestion, processing, storage and publishing, including data visualisation, advanced analytics, data science and data discovery platforms.
Specifically, you will be part of the Geospatial Platorm team which is bp’s platform for representing our location based assets in the digital space. This includes systems of record for our geographic locations, tracking of real time location data, analysis of geographic conditions, and visualization of our location specific assets in both 2D and 3D map tools.
Service Engineers (as a job family) will focus on ensuring that the foundational pillars of the service are built out in a sustainable and robust way with a strong view on customer centricity and ensuring that the team can deliver as promised.
- Team: You will be responsible for building and operating our strategic data platforms, including the setup, configuration and monitoring of data ingestion services, and ensuring data is published and made available to our data consumers.
- Platforms: You will work with the team to create a clear vision and maximize value from current applications and emerging technologies, demonstrating technical thought leadership in your business area across a wide range of technologies.
- Relationships: You will contribute to the continuous improvement of the wider IT&S team by supporting and coaching Platform Engineers and proactively improving the quality standards and efficiency of delivery.
- Technology: You will build awareness of internal and external technology developments, managing the delivery of process and system improvements, identifying and implementing continuous improvement plans for Platform Engineering and ensuring best practice is shared across the team.
- Safety and Compliance: Safety of our people and our customers is our highest priority. You will advocate and lead in this and promote a culture of security and compliance in everything that we do.
- Data Platform Development & Operations: Develops and operates data platforms including but not limited to data hubs, ETL, data ingestion pipelines, storage and repository maintenance, and graph data relationships.
- Availability Management: Contributes to the availability management process
- Capacity Management: Monitors service component capacity and initiates actions to resolve any shortfalls according to agreed procedures.
- Methods and Tools: Provides expertise and support on use of methods and tools..
- Programming / Software Development: Designs, codes, tests, corrects and documents complex programs and scripts from agreed specifications, and subsequent iterations.
- Release and Deployment: Assesses and analyses release components. Provides input to scheduling. Carries out the builds and tests in coordination with testers and component specialists maintaining and administering the tools and methods
- Systems Design: Specifies user/system interfaces and translates logical designs into physical designs taking account of target environment, performance requirements and existing systems. - Produces detailed designs and documents all work using required standards, methods and tools, including prototyping tools, physical data flows, file layouts, common routines and utilities, program specifications or prototypes and backup, recovery and restart procedures where appropriate
- Systems Installation and Decommissioning: installs or removes hardware and/or software, using supplied installation instructions and tools including, where appropriate, handover to the client.
- Technical Specialism : Maintains knowledge of specific specialisms, provides detailed advice regarding their application and executes specialised tasks.
- Deep and hands-on experience designing, planning, implementing, maintaining and documenting reliable and scalable data infrastructure and data products in complex cloud environments.
- Understanding of Azure Telemetry tool
- Solid foundations in dashboarding and visualizing large volumes of data concisely
- Experience in MS Power Platform is a plus
- Experience in using Geospatial systems in a cloud environment and understanding how it interacts with other cloud native systems
- Exposure to adjacent domains such as platforms, storage, databases, etc.
- Deep understanding of the underlying technology behind esri server based tool sets including the telemetry APIs
- Understanding of Python and Powershell for system monitoring.
- Good knowledge of modern development methodologies -Agile using Scrum and/or Kanban.
- BS degree in computer science
- No prior experience in the energy industry required