Are you looking for a career in tech that truly helps make the world a better place? bp is moving through the biggest transition in its 100+ year history with the goal of becoming one of the world’s largest renewable energy providers and achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2050. To make this transition, we are hiring senior software engineers to power our business end to end, from building new infrastructure and services through to customer facing web and native mobile applications. We build exclusively on the cloud using Azure and AWS so we can adapt quickly, demonstrate the latest technology, and scale our business globally. We are hiring builders that are comfortable defining their own direction, who can move fast and tackle complex challenges, and who want to work with strong peers and leaders from tech companies like Uber, Google, Facebook, Tesla, and Amazon.
Who are we?
bp’s Innovation & Engineering (I&E) organization is the central organization for all software development. We build all the technology that powers bp’s businesses, from upstream energy production to downstream delivery of energy to our customers. We have a variety of teams depending on your areas of interest, including infrastructure and backend services through to customer-facing web and native applications. We encourage our teams to adapt quickly by using native AWS and Azure services, including serverless, and enable them to pick the best technology for a given problem. This is meant to empower our software engineers while allowing them to learn and develop themselves.
How can you help?
- Design sophisticated software components, services, and applications. You’ll write design documents and review them with your software engineering and architecture peers, incorporating and quickly iterating on the feedback.
- Lead a squad of engineers in delivery of your projects to production. You’ll follow best practices including writing high quality code, developing unit, functional, and performance tests, and creating end-to-end deployment pipelines to production to maintain a fast velocity.
- Integrate your software with other distributed systems and shared APIs across bp. You’ll work closely with partner teams to help evolve their systems to make all our services more re-usable and resilient.
- Hire and develop others by mentoring junior software engineers and peers, and proactively sharing your expertise and interests with others.
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience designing and building complex software systems end-to-end which have been optimally delivered to production. You’ll have supported these production systems through on-call rotations.
- Expertise in at least one language (C/C++, Java, C#, Python) including object-oriented design. You should be proficient in data structures, algorithms, runtime complexity, API, and database design, as well as unit and functional test methodologies.
- Experience in system design of both new and existing systems. You should understand security and privacy best practices as well as how to accurately monitor, log, and alarm for production systems.
What do we want to see from you!
- Deep knowledge of Convenience Retail end-to-end processes such as product masterdata management, inventory management, supply chain and accounting
- Ability to perform data flow analyses for article import using SAP transactions and SQL queries on bp database.
- Experience with Gherkin Syntax (ability to write acceptance criteria, which can be used to create unit- or behat tests).
- Knowledge of PHP Framework Symfony.
- Knowledge of GIT and Jenkins deployment pipeline.
- Experience in highly customized SAP Retail environments (including mass-data processing, complex self-developed applications, batch processing, job scheduling).
- Knowledge of EDIFACT standard formats and API integrations.
- Knowledge and experience of working with BY/JDA Enterprise Store Operations (ESO).
- Understanding of BMC structure, NACS-codes, various category levels and their representation in ESO and data lake.
- German language skills for communication with store managers and operators.
- Knowledge and experience of working with Semarchy.
What you can expect from us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, neuro-diversity/neuro-cognitive functioning, veteran status or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations.