At bp, we’re reimagining energy for people and our planet. With operations working across almost every part of the energy system, we’re leading the way in reducing carbon emissions and developing more sustainable methods for solving the energy challenge.
We’re a diverse team of engineers, scientists, traders and business professionals determined to find answers to problems that must be solved. But we know we can’t do it alone. We’re looking for people who share our passion for reinvention to bring a new point of view, collaborative spirit, and to challenge our thinking in our ambition to achieve net zero!
BP is seeking an experienced software development engineer/manager with a solid command of technical privacy issues for our digital technology organization. You will lead the design and implementation of services for data discovery, inventory and mapping in a hybrid- and multi-cloud environment. This role requires a deep understanding of data management in distributed systems and familiarity with security and privacy requirements across the entire data lifecycle. Experience with building systems incorporating privacy by design principles and supporting regulatory requirements through features or processes is preferred.
- Leads, grows and develops a team of data engineers that writes, deploys and maintains software to build, integrate, manage, maintain, and quality-assure data at bp.
- Creates positive engagement and drives an inclusive work environment with team and partners through the quality of interactions and collaboration across multiple business entities.
- Effectively works with cross-disciplinary collaborators and partners across multiple business entities.
- Architects and designs reliable and scalable data infrastructure.
- Advocates for and ensures their team adheres to software engineering standard methodologies (e.g. technical design, technical design review, unit testing, monitoring & alerting, checking in code, code review, documentation),
- Responsible for deploying secure and well-tested software that meets privacy and compliance requirements.
- Responsible for service reliability and following site-reliability engineering standard methodologies: on-call rotations for services they oversee, responsible for defining and maintaining SLAs.
- Actively contributes to improve developer velocity.
- Actively mentor others.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND JOB REQUIREMENTS
- BS degree in computer science or related field
- Experience (typically 2+ years) leading, growing and developing a data engineering team of around 7-30 people
- Deep and hands-on experience (typically 5+ years) designing, planning, productionizing, maintaining and documenting reliable and scalable data infrastructure and data products in complex environments
- Development experience in one or more object-oriented programming languages (e.g. Python, Go, Java, C++)
- Advanced SQL knowledge
- Experience designing and implementing large-scale distributed systems
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience in technologies across all data lifecycle stages
- Strong collaborator management and ability to lead large organizations through influence
- Continuous learning and improvement approach
- No prior experience in the energy industry required
WHY JOIN USAt bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
- Experience in retail and / or supply chain data
- Experience in AWS and / or Azure native data platforms
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation