At bp, we’re reimagining energy for people and our planet. With operations working across almost every part of the energy system, we’re leading the way in reducing carbon emissions and developing more sustainable methods for solving the energy challenge.
We’re a diverse team of engineers, scientists, traders and business professionals determined to find answers to problems that must be solved. But we know we can’t do it alone. We’re looking for people who share our passion for reinvention to bring a new point of view, collaborative spirit, and to challenge our thinking in our ambition to achieve net zero!
The Staff Data Manager (Geospatial) will lead the delivery of Geospatial data management, analytics, engineering and science solutions for the Geospatial Americas team. This squad forms part of the wider Geospatial team and contributes to the continuous improvement and development of the Geospatial subject area. This role will also include promotional activities, product testing, reporting, new integration efforts and new business development activities. The Staff Data Manager (Geospatial) will interface closely with the other Geospatial and Remote Sensing Squads to develop solutions to meet business challenges.
The Staff Data Manager (Geospatial) is a leadership role for those who have a passion for data and analytics and a zeal to unlock and use data to inform better business decisions.
- Provide direction to direct reports & other data resources within the squad
- Actively balance the workloads, priorities and targets of squad members
- Empower team members to drive improvements to the Geospatial subject area
- Develops data expert capability within the team and identifies development opportunities
- Master’s Degree (or higher) in Geographic Science, Computer Science, Survey Engineering, Related Field and/or a substantial level of experience working with Geospatial Data within the Energy industry
- Ability to set and achieve ambitious goals for self and others
- Ability to supervise, mentor, train and inspire technical staff
- Ability to facilitate the flow of ideas, creative solutions and feedback across the team from Graduate to Senior Management level
- Adhering to the Geospatial standards for internal/external data and the risk of incorporating this data onto maps and data repositories. Promoting naming conventions, industry standard acronyms, codes, units of measure & symbols. Recognizing, fixing errors & inconsistences in data and fundamental workflows while leading implications of moving data and maps for avoiding data connection issues in the management of Geospatial Data.
- The structure of various Geospatial data formats (shape file, geodatabase, raster, tabular, tin, etc.), and how to edit data in SDE Geodatabases. Know how and when to apply datum transformations, recognize, trouble-shoot and repair coordinate reference systems issues in existing datasets and how to resolve geodetic parameters were likely used for historic datasets
- Import/export of data between ArcGIS and other applications, including using FME and related tools. Developing tools for data import/export of geospatial data where needed, being cognizant of the tools that already exist.
- Reading, & modify the display properties of raster data sets for analysis. Performing spatial analysis with vector/raster data, including generating surfaces from point data, calculating isopachs and drawing contours.
- The concept of spatial analysis, and what the software is capable of. Running simple analysis tools, creating basic models to automate simple workflows moving toward advanced models to automate complex geoscience workflows, basic scripting languages for editing attributes, writing short scripts for data manipulation and data QC.
- Actively seeking to improve data insights, automate and simplify workflows and processes
- Creating innovative solutions to improve process, workflow, standard methodology and service delivery
- Challenging conventional thinking, problem solving and innovating
- Identifying, piloting and applying new data management techniques to improve data and service delivery
- Actively seeking to apply data science techniques; automation and machine learning, including the use of analytical and visualization tools to translate data and interpreted results into practical insights and value.
- Actively communicating and promoting the purpose and benefits of information and data management and data analytics, engaging and effectively managing collaborators.
Considering Joining bp?
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and exciting environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. bp is committed to encouraging an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly. There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, excellent retirement benefits, and more!