Digital Science & Engineering is a cross-functional team involved in all phases of our application and service release lifecycle that embrace and promote the DevOps & SRE methodologies. Platform Engineers are partly responsible for design, implementation, and ongoing support of the production services, applications and platform components that comprise our backends. In this role you will have the opportunity to leverage your technical skills in systems management, software development and database skills, to promote best-practice and support the broader organization by implementing the guide-rails to operate safely, by building maturity and forging greater adoption and higher maturity for Agile delivery.
- Works with the business, Software Engineers and Service Engineers to translate product requirements into platform requirements
- Collaborates with broader delivery teams to provide recommendations to align to strategic platforms
- Demonstrates technical thought leadership across platform engineering technologies
- Builds awareness of internal and external technology developments.
- Adheres to and advocates for platform engineering best practices (e.g. coding standards and reviews, source control management, build processes and operations)
- Actively contributes to improve developer velocity and product availability
- Mentor others and become a conduit to connect the broader organization
- Asist drive automation of application deployments utilizing strategic patterns and DevSecOps approved CI/CD pipelines
- Identify areas for process and efficiency improvement for Platform Services Operations; recommend solutions and assist in overseeing implementation. Actively facilitate continuous improvement
- Ensure all necessary operational processes and procedures are carried out with a high level of attention to detail, expediency, and on-time delivery
- Define and document standard run books and operating procedures. Create and maintain system information and architecture diagrams
- Monitor various systems capacity and health indicators and trends; provide analytics & forecasts for added or reduced capacity as required
Essential Experience and Job Requirements:
- Degree/HND in computer science and or related field.
- Continuous learning and improvement mindset (for themselves and others)
- Broad experience of cloud native technologies, specifically in Azure and native services
- Databricks, Python, R SQL experience
- Expertise in and hands-on experience of areas such as data structures, database table design, algorithm design, runtime complexity, system architecture (scalable, reliable, redundant design), security and privacy best practices, at scale monitoring, logging & alerting, testing best practices
- Experience with Microsoft Azure Operational and Monitoring tools
- Experience using an operational ticketing system to record changes and work history details such as Service Now and AzureDevOps. Strong stakeholder management and ability to collaborate and influence
- Complete tasks quickly and thoroughly, owns issues and is highly dependable.
- Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive in an energetic, fast paced, high growth environment. Exhibits ownership of projects and tasks assigned
- Excellent organizational skills required to adapt to a constantly changing technical environment
- Strong team player with a customer service orientation with the ability to forge relationships at all levels of the company and across diverse cultures
- Have excellent communication skills – written, verbal and interpersonal.
- Ethical, honest, fair and of high integrity.