Platform Operations and Optimization is part of strategic Compute portfolio within Digital Enterprise & Operations. Within this portfolio, the Cloud optimization team is responsible for improving the costs' efficiency in cloud by leading various cloud optimization strategies and plans.
The Staff Platform Engineer will manage the team of cloud optimization SMEs. As part of a virtual team that has embraced DevOps, working efficiently in a fast-paced environment, you will complement the team with SME knowledge and modern platform development methods and will be accountable for cloud optimization strategy and implementation, working with the Architects, Vendors, Cloud providers and Developers. You will effectively engage with bp user community and support them with optimization consulting and training to focus on self-service and automation.
bp is reinventing itself and digital capability is at the core of this vision. To achieve our ambitions and re-imagine energy, we also need to re-imagine digital as it underpins everything we do. Our Innovation and Engineering teams enable strategic platforms enable that future digital vision. The purpose of the platform team is to enable product teams to deliver work with substantial autonomy, focusing on the foundation of self-service API, tools, services, knowledge, and support which are arranged as a compelling internal product.
Join us to gain an opportunity to use your existing experience and expertise whilst continuing to develop professionally at global level. Personal growth and development are encouraged and learning opportunities are plentiful. You are empowered to enable a great platform to delight your customers.
If unlocking value by bringing teams together using digital capability excites you, we want you!
- Deliver Cloud optimization strategy and execution plans for AWS & AZURE clouds.
- Deliver tooling and analytics for cloud optimization to save cloud costs.
- Deliver automation and self-service enablement of various optimization activities.
- Responsible for Standing up the Optimization (rightsizing & cost elements) and reporting services to ensure we improve the benefits of hosting in the cloud.
- Deliver commercial optimization via reserved instance and savings plan management.
- Define and agree policies on rightsizing and Optimisation (ie scheduling, auto-scaling etc.).
- Primarily responsible for optimizing spend on cloud hosting.
- Provide technical expertise and direction to the vendors to surface optimization exceptions or opportunities.
- Supports cloud platform teams and business user to validate cloud spend and optimization of services.
- Deliver user enablement via tooling, analytics, training, and consulting for optimization services.
- Accountable for optimization product roadmap and user councils.
- Responsible for team members’ personal development and the management of reviews.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Proven experience in driving and delivering cloud optimization plans for hybrid public cloud environments
- Strong networking, relationship management and negotiating skills.
- Excellent communications skills including the proven ability to explain technical issues in business language.
- Experience working in a large, complex geographically distributed and outsourced organization.
- Able to present complex and technical information clearly and concisely.
- Specialist in the use of data manipulation and reporting tools.
- Possess solid understanding of Capacity Management processes in an environment with tens of production systems of large scale (<5TB).
- Leadership skills in embracing people development, mentoring, and training, appraisal, delegation, and development potential.
- Ability to build and foster effective working relationships at varying levels
- An awareness of BP business and I&E strategies.
- Experience in implementing on-premise capacity plans for Large-scale landscape.
- Cloud certification.