Responsible for managing a team to deliver software / platform engineering activities (depending on specialism), ensuring technology choices are driven from IT&S strategy, taking accountability for the design, development and maintenance of a software system / infrastructure platform, and assisting in creating the vision to maximize value from current and emerging technologies. Specialisms: Software Engineering; Platform Engineering.
- Working with users and business analysts to understand requirements
- Designing, developing, and testing custom software applications
- Supporting and maintaining your software. We believe in DevOps – you build it, you run it!
- Supervising and applying new technologies
- Mentoring and technical leadership of less expert developers
- Staff Software Engineer is accountable to the IT&S Product Manager and the respective service delivery. This includes responsibility for:
- Ensuring the solution:
- Adheres to target architecture as defined by the Bill of IT (Target Architecture), target process design, information model, etc
- Meets all relevant Group, Segment and Business IT&S Standards
- Remains consistent with and is appropriate for the business requirements
- Lead and communicate efficiently with our Business Users, Solution Architects, Development Teams, Product Owners, Product Managers and 3rd party vendors in different time zones across BP
- Growing and developing capability of the team to deliver agile, commercially cost-effective and user-focused solutions in a respectful and supportive culture
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of relevant industry trends, competitors, companies and technology in order to ensure a product portfolio winning proposition along time and along markets
- Computer Science or other technical (e.g. Physics, Engineering) degree or equivalent commercial experience
Desirable Experience and Capability:
Years of experience:
- 10 to 12 years, with a minimum of 6 to 8 years of proven experience.
- SAP Systems Design
- SAP Technical Specialism
- SAP Systems Integration
- Comprehensive understanding and experience in Source-to-Pay Processes (Sourcing, Procurement, Category Management, Accounts Payable, etc), and its relationship to complementing processes
- Deep seated functional knowledge, hands-on design and delivery experience using these Products/modules in complex architecture landscape
- SAP Ariba – SLP, AN, B&I, S2C, ICS
- SAP Cloud Integration Gateway
- SAP ECC – MM and its integration points to Finance, PM, IS-OIL, Tax
- Good understanding in Technical Integration and delivery of complex solutions through
- SAP Process Orchestration (PO) / Process Integration (PI)
- SAP Cloud Integration Gateway (CIG)
- SAP ABAP language
- Willingness and ability to learn, to become skilled in at least one more programming language on top of your existing skills
- Deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, including design, security, design patterns for extensible and reliable code, automated unit and functional testing, CI/CD and telemetry
- Demonstrated understanding of modern technologies like Cloud native, containers, serverless
- Adopt a culture of change and agility, evolving and adapting continuously
- A phenomenal team-mate and leader, looking beyond your own area and interpersonal boundaries to consider the bigger picture and perspective of others.
- Use insight and good judgement to enable commercially sound, efficient and pragmatic decisions and solutions and to respond to situations as they arise.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to relate complex topics in simple and accessible language.
- Experience in planning, designing, and delivering sophisticated solutions across multiple products and interpersonal units.
Skills and/or experience in:
- SAP Fieldglass and its integration points
- SAP MDG, VIM and OpenText
- SAP S/4 HANA
- SAP Central Procurement
- Leadership and people management
- Agile methodologies
- User story definition
- Application Support
- Emerging Technology Monitoring
- Azure and/or AWS
- Requirements Definition and Management
- Business Risk Management
- Systems Development Management
- Business Modelling
- Monitoring and telemetry tools
- User Experience Analysis