Grade G Responsible for delivering software / platform engineering activities (depending on specialism), using advanced technical capabilities to fully understand user requirements, acting as the lead for the design, development and maintenance of a software system / infrastructure platform, and assisting in creating the vision to maximize value from current and emerging technologies. Specialisms: Software Engineering; Platform Engineering.
• This role is a lead software engineer in bp’s digital space supporting the Gas and Low Carbon Energy business, developing solutions in the home energy domain to help de-carbonize energy
• You will be responsible for providing technical guidance and mentorship to a team of software developers
• You will work alongside a global team of software engineers, BAs, SDETs and others, working together to enhance and maintain bp’s digital applications for the local and global markets
• You will work with business leaders to define the feature roadmap for the local developed features
• You will apply your technical skills in software development, platform engineering and automation
• You will embrace and promote DevOps & SRE methodologies
• Contributes and collaborates in design, implementation, and maintenance of products to support the Gas and Low Carbon Energy business within bp
• Is hands-on and actively contributes to code including ensuring the code quality of junior engineers.
• Work with other engineering teams to create a consistently great user experience
• Adheres to and advocates for software engineering best practices (e.g. technical design, technical design review, unit testing, monitoring & alerting, source code management, code review, documentation),
• Adheres to Agile methodologies and operates and builds DevOps maturity. Ensures delivery of business incremental change safely and reliably using SRE practices.
• Actively contributes to building DevOps maturity, incrementally and measurably improving delivery velocity.
• Contribute to an engineering culture, promoting excellence and minimizing technical debt
• Provide guidance and support for junior developers and take responsibility for overall delivery of the product
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in computer science, other STEM subject or equivalent professional experience
• Continuous learning and improvement mindset (for themselves and others)
• No prior experience in the energy industry required
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Full-stack experience - AngularJS and NodeJS
• Amazon RDS knowledge
• Mulesoft knowledge and experience
• Agile development methologies - CI/CD, TDD
• Deep knowledge and hands-on experience of data structures, algorithm designs, runtime complexity, API design, security and privacy best practices, at scale monitoring, logging & alerting, testing best practices.
• Strong communication skills and ability to talk at all levels across the organization
• Ability to engage and influence is of paramount importance.
• Working globally with multiple teams
• Open source contributions
• Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive in an energetic, fast paced, high growth environment. • • Exhibits ownership of projects and tasks assigned
• Excellent organizational skills required to adapt to a constantly changing technical environment
• Strong team player with a customer service orientation with the ability to forge relationships at all levels of the company and across diverse cultures