Grade H Responsible for delivering relevant analysis and modelling to provide commercial insight, utilising relationships to stay up to date with internal developments in statistical techniques, whilst identifying process improvements and applying insights from the external environment.
The Trading Analytics & Insights team sits within the front office and is responsible for providing a broad range of analytical support that directly supports our energy commodities trading activity. Within Trading Analytics & Insights, the Structuring team is responsible for providing structuring support to Oil, Asia Pacific Gas & Power, Low Carbon, Global LNG businesses.
An opportunity is currently available for a Structurer to join the team and provide structuring support to the commercial teams. Structurers are primarily responsible for a) working proactively with traders, originators, and business functions in analysing and developing structures, b) developing and improving valuation and hedging models of energy assets and exotic structured transactions, and c) assisting in the structuring and valuation of deals by understanding and quantifying the embedded optionality, risks, and relevant value drivers.
|Physical and Financial products valuation|
Communicate results to traders, origination and other analysts
- Design and improve physical and financial products valuation models and techniques.
- Maintain knowledge of industry standard models and methods and calibrate models and evaluate deals.
- Understand models’ strengths and limitations and practical application.
Work with wider commercial team and functions
- Offer commercial insight into the valuation process, devising and advocating alternate deal structures to enhance value for the business.
- Able to defend the results and incorporate relevant feedback.
- Able to explain structured transactions in basic components.
- Develop approaches to value/assess non-standard or non-price risks imbedded in transactions on the go.
- Assist mid and back office personnel in understanding of proposed deals and develop a collaborative relationship around the booking/modelling of live deals within the middle office and risk systems.
- Work with relevant parties to identify and quantify both market and non-market risks and assist proposing hedging and other mitigations if available.
|Essential Experience: |
- Experience in quantitative / structuring / commercial roles in the gas and power market, especially in Asia Pacific or Europe. Experience in other energy market will also be considered.
- Exposure to deal structuring/valuation of exotic gas/power products, tolling arrangements, renewable PPAs, energy storage systems, etc. and cashflow modelling for the same.
- An understanding of the key elements of the value chain and key drivers setting commodity prices, spreads and non-linear product pricing.
- Ability to develop/ refine tools/complex models.
- High attention to detail to ensure robust and reliable analysis.
- Clear and succinct communication skills in order to explain impact on deal value of price changes (level, spreads and dynamics) as well as valuation assumptions and hedge strategies.
- Confidence to challenge assumptions and offer practical solutions.
- Good interpersonal skills to develop and maintain collaborative relationships within the structuring team as well as with stakeholders across the business.
- Ability to identify and prioritize potential opportunities and to act quickly and decisively.
- Degree level qualification in a numerate subject (e.g. mathematics/economics/ physics/engineering or similar).
- Postgraduate qualification in a finance or quantitative area or CFA designation will be a plus.
- Desired experience in managing exposure and valuation of oil, natural gas and power physical assets, and structured transactions, such as pipelines, storage, power plants, and exotic options.
- Candidates with project finance experience in commodity markets with strong financial modelling skills will be considered.