At bp, we're striving to meet the growing global demand for safe, sustainable and affordable energy. A career in offshore wind is an opportunity to help shape the future of bp. bp’s ambition is to be one of the leading providers of offshore wind energy. As part of the team, you’ll create a more efficient business that makes the best possible use of all its resources as we transform our operating assets in pursuit of our net zero ambition. To power the scale and pace of growth that we are targeting, we need the best people in the industry. You’ll help build our offshore wind developments, delivering progressive projects and growing your talent in all kind of new and exciting ways to define the future of energy.
Are you ready take your career to new heights?
We have a great opportunity for a Submarine Cable Engineer on our Central Subsea team.
Central Subsea is a key member of the subsea projects team and plays an important role in developing and delivering cost effective subsea projects. The umbilicals, flexibles & power cables team is growing to deliver hardware and services for the ongoing Projects across all regions – including the developments in New Energy.
As such, Central Subsea is responsible for the specification, design and delivery of submarine cable systems for offshore wind projects and acts as the single face to the submarine cable suppliers.
The Submarine Cable Engineer will hold assigned accountability for the design, manufacturing, delivery and verification of HV submarine power cable hardware and services for specified Projects within the Central Subsea portfolio. The role will ensure the deliveries are in line with bp HSSE requirements, quality standards and within project schedule and cost objectives.
This role will be based in South East England with travel within the UK and occasional international travel.Key accountabilities
- Demonstrate good safe work practices and be proactive in ensuring safe practices at all times including a strong influence role with suppliers.
- Identify Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) risks and communicate as appropriate
- Integration and management of interfaces between the submarine cable suppliers and project system engineering, turbine system supplier, installation/BOP contractor, logistics contractor and bp services team.
- Provide subject area engineering support for submarine cable deliveries electrical system design and collaborate with suppliers for specified Projects.
- Perform calculations for cable system sizing, losses, availability
- Support the development of wind farm electrical system design, cable layouts and sizing.
- Support cable burial risk assessments.
- Review, comment, and approve design documentation, quality plans and other procedures as appropriate.
- Working with procurement, handle the supplier selection and award process for submarine cables.
- Support tender clarification/evaluation and contractor/vendor selection, ensuring all activities are in accordance with bp’s Code of Conduct.
- Budget management of contracts. Working with Project Controls, responsible for accurate cost and schedule forecasting.
- Develop the New Energy strategy with respect to HV submarine cable engineering and procurement (offshore wind)
- Develop the wider supply chain of HV cable manufacturers – AVL status, audits and supplier management.
- Build strong working relationships with the key suppliers.
- Identify and handle key engineering and delivery risks and provide guidance to project risk management and mitigation action plans.
- Assist in the performance of all project assurance activities, including the management of Design Verification Plans.
- Part of a global engineering and delivery team, sharing lessons and collaborating across Projects
- Provide technical mentoring to junior team members
You will have a degree in an Electrical Engineering related discipline as a Chartered or Professional Engineer. Experience is what matters most. Extensive track record and experience with submarine cable (array and/or export package delivery). Experience of overall system design and associated impacts of cable system decisions.
It's important that you have:
Why join us
- Track record of supplier management
- In depth solid knowledge of:
- HV submarine cable design, manufacture and installation
- Offshore wind farm electrical cable system design
- Codes, standards and guides (including, but not limited to)
- IEC (60840, 60228, 62067, 60287, etc)
- DNVGL-ST-0359, DNVGL-RP-0360
- Cigre (TB490, TB 623, TB722, etc)
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and ambitious environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!