At bp, we're striving to meet the growing global demand for safe, sustainable, and affordable energy. bp’s ambition is to be one of the leading providers of offshore wind energy. A career in offshore wind is an opportunity to help shape the future of bp. To power the scale and pace of growth that we are targeting, we need the best people in the industry. As part of the team, you’ll be playing a key role in support bp to move towards our net zero ambition, at the same time as being part of one of our exciting new energy businesses. You’ll help to plan for and develop our offshore wind projects, growing your talent in all kinds of new and exciting ways to define the future of energy.
Are you ready to take your career to new heights?
bp and Equinor formed a strategic partnership to develop offshore wind energy in US. bp and Equinor will jointly develop four assets in two existing offshore wind leases located offshore New York and Massachusetts that together have the potential to generate power for more than two million homes.
The partnership will leverage capability and experience from both companies. Development engineering, construction and commissioning operations will be performed by Equinor Wind Services LLC US. It is staffed by secondees from both Equinor and bp.
This role is needed to support these projects in Stamford, CT and/or Brooklyn, NY. The successful candidate may support offshore wind as a home-based employee before deployment to the US East Coast, upon prior agreement, and must be mobile to work in the required area when needed.
It is possible that this role will become a secondment onto a bp joint venture. This can be discussed in more detail during the recruitment process.
Central Subsea is a member of the subsea projects team and plays an important role in developing and delivering cost effective subsea projects. The umbilicals, flexibles & power cables team is growing to deliver hardware and services for the ongoing Projects across all regions – including the developments in New Energy.
The Submarine Cables Engineer is responsible for the specification, design and delivery of submarine cable systems for offshore wind projects and acts as the single face to the submarine cable suppliers. The role will ensure the deliveries are in line with bp HSSE requirements, quality standards and within project schedule and cost objectives.
This role provides subject area engineering support for submarine cable deliveries electrical system design and collaborate with suppliers for specified Projects. You will be a part of a global engineering and delivery team, sharing lessons and collaborating across projects. As a leader, you will provide technical mentoring to junior team members.
This role will be accountable for:
- Demonstrate good safe work practices and be proactive in ensuring safe practices at all times including a strong influence role with suppliers.
- Identify Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) risks and communicate as appropriate
- Integration and management of interfaces between the submarine cable suppliers and project system engineering, turbine system supplier, installation/BOP contractor, logistics contractor and bp services team.
- Perform calculations for cable system sizing, losses, availability
- Support the development of wind farm electrical system design, cable layouts and sizing.
- Support cable burial risk assessments.
- Review, comment, and approve design documentation, quality plans and other procedures as appropriate.
- Working with procurement, handle the supplier selection and award process for submarine cables.
- Support tender clarification/evaluation and contractor/vendor selection, ensuring all activities are in accordance with bp’s Code of Conduct.
- Budget management of contracts. Working with Project Controls, responsible for accurate cost and schedule forecasting.
- Develop the New Energy strategy with respect to HV submarine cable engineering and procurement (offshore wind)
- Develop the wider supply chain of HV cable manufacturers – AVL status, audits and supplier management.
- Build strong working relationships with the key suppliers.
- Identify and handle key engineering and delivery risks and provide guidance to project risk management and mitigation action plans.
- Assist in the performance of all project assurance activities, including the management of Design Verification Plans.
You will ideally hold a degree in an Electrical Engineering related discipline as a Chartered or Professional Engineer. Experience is what matters most. Extensive track record and experience with submarine cable (array and/or export package delivery). Experience of overall system design and associated impacts of cable system decisions.
It's important that you have:
Why join us
- Track record of supplier management
- In depth solid knowledge of:
- HV submarine cable design, manufacture and installation
- Offshore wind farm electrical cable system design
- Codes, standards and guides (including, but not limited to)
- IEC (60840, 60228, 62067, 60287, etc)
- DNVGL-ST-0359, DNVGL-RP-0360
- Cigre (TB490, TB 623, TB722, etc)
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and ambitious environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!