As supplies of oil and gas are depleted, geoscientists play a meaningful role in ensuring we can meet the world’s growing demand for energy. At bp, our geoscientists use leading-edge technology to explore hydrocarbon resources and maximize their recovery from oil and gas reservoirs across the world. Now, we can find and produce oil and gas that was invisible to us only a few years ago.
For this Summer intern role, we are looking for someone to be part of the Geology team. Geology is concerned with the application of geological principles and techniques to the analysis of well, core, surface outcrop, and production data. Could you be the next geologist to join our team?
Here at bp, the combination of geology and geophysics — as geosciences — delivers a powerful description and evaluation of the subsurface, growing our ability to safely explore and recover hydrocarbon resources. Join us as a geologist and you’ll find our dedication to today and tomorrow stretches beyond the success of our business to the development of our people and their successful careers.
Duties and responsibilities
The precise nature of your role will be defined by your skills as well as the needs of the business but your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Working on projects and supporting your team to find the best solutions
- Helping to maintain performance within your team and for bp as a company
- Building relationships both within bp and with our external partners, collaborating across functions, segments and teams to deliver excellence
- Demonstrating drive and dedication through the bp values with an emphasis on safety.
As part of bp, you will also be able to take part in additional activities outside of your role, whether it be supporting local community initiatives, our bp Business Resourcing Groups and you are given the encouragement and time to participate.
We particularly encourage applications from students working towards a Petroleum Geoscience MSc and from PhD candidates who are conducting research in applied geology disciplines such as sedimentology, stratigraphy, structural geology, biostratigraphy, geochemistry, basin modelling and geomechanics).
In addition, demonstrable data science skills would be advantageous for any geoscience candidate applying for a role in bp. Specifically, proficiency in using statistical methods to interrogate large datasets for geological insight, and in the application of using scripting languages such as Python and R, and development environments such as Jupyter and Rstudio.Requirements:
- Must be in penultimate year of study (those going onto a Masters and PhD students can apply)
- We would like to allow those who are penultimate year from starting work to apply so this would include those who are approaching their final year and taking a year out immediately after that final year traveling.
- Completing a PhD and have 9-18 months remaining until your PhD completion date
Remember, you can only apply for ONE opportunity. If you are not sure that this is the opportunity for you, please return to our Candidate Matcher to review your other matches.
Within the education section please list all information for any degrees that you have studied or are currently studying.At bp we have a phenomenal open and inclusive culture, a great work life balance and tremendous learning and development opportunities to craft your career path. We provide employee benefits such as life and health insurance, medical care and many others!
If you need to make any adjustments to any stage of the recruitment process, for example due to an illness, injury or a disability, please contact us on 0800 279 2088 or email email@example.com. If you are calling from overseas, please dial +44 1635 584149.