Geophysics Summer Intern
As supplies of oil and gas are depleted, geoscientists play a meaningful role in ensuring we can meet the world’s growing demand for energy. At bp, our geoscientists use leading-edge technology to explore and produce hydrocarbon resources across the world. bp applies and develops new technologies that are allowing us to find and produce oil and gas that was invisible to us only a few years ago.
For this Summer intern role, we are looking for someone to be part of the Geophysics team. Geophysics is concerned with the acquisition, processing, interpretation and analysis of seismic and other geophysical datasets (e.g. gravity and magnetic surveys) to create an image of the subsurface. Could you be the next geophysicist to join our team?
Here at bp individuals with many backgrounds, geophysicists, geologies, engineers and computer scientist to name a few, partner to deliver insights into the subsurface that allow us to determine if there are potential economically recoverable resources that can be developed in a responsible way. Join us as a geophysicist and you’ll find our dedication to today and tomorrow stretches beyond the success of our business to the development of our people and their successful careers.
Duties and responsibilities
The precise nature of your role will be defined by your skills as well as the needs of the business but your duties and responsibilities will include:
As part of bp, you will also be able to take part in additional activities outside of your role, whether it be supporting local community initiatives, our bp Business Resourcing Groups and you are given the encouragement and time to participate.We particularly encourage applications from students working towards a Petroleum Geoscience MSc and from PhD candidates who are conducting research in applied geophysics disciplines such as seismic acquisition, processing, imaging, signal analysis or coding. In addition, demonstrable data science skills would be advantageous for any geoscience candidate applying for a role in bp. Specifically, proficiency in using statistical methods and scripting tools such as Python and R to interrogate large datasets to gain insights into our data are of interest.Requirements:
- A chance to apply the technical knowledge that you have gained and learn new skills to support your team to find the best solutions to challenging subsurface problems
- Your contributions will be integrated into the teams plans as part of their integrated business delivery which can help bp as a company
- Building relationships both within bp and with our external partners, collaborating across functions, segments and teams to deliver excellence
- Demonstrating drive and dedication through the bp values with an emphasis on team working and safety.
Other information Remember, you can only apply for ONE opportunity. If you are not sure that this is the opportunity for you, please return to our Candidate Matcher to review your other matches.Within the education section please list all information for any degrees that you have studied or are currently studying.If you need to make any adjustments to any stage of the recruitment process, for example due to an illness, injury or a disability, please contact us on 0800 279 2088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are calling from overseas, please dial +44 1635 584149.
- Must be in penultimate year of study (those going onto a Masters and PhD students can apply)
- We would like to allow those who are penultimate year from starting work to apply so this would include those who are approaching their final year and taking a year out immediately after that final year traveling.
- Completing a PhD and have 9-18 months remaining until your PhD completion date