Grade G. Responsible for partnering with the business / corporate function / or within the Tax Function to provide either compliance services, tax reporting services or domestic and multi-jurisdictional tax advice (dependent on specialism) and resolving complex issues, to help optimise BP's tax position and effectively manage any potential tax risks.
About the role
This is the tax advisor supporting T&S growth plans in Asia Pacific and Middle East (APME). Ensures that T&S complies with tax laws in the jurisdictions in which T&S APME operates and responsible for a full spectrum of tax activities ranging from direct tax and indirect tax advisory, tax advocacy and tax risk management.
- Lead direct and indirect tax advisory to T&S APME, including New Activity Initiatives and projects to achieve an optimum outcome for T&S and the BP group, enhancing business efficiency and improving business results, and proactively manage tax risks. Manage cross border tax issues for T&S APME covering Asia Pacific and Middle East. Work with a network of local tax teams to support T&S APME activities. Manage external tax counsels in countries where BP does not have in house tax teams.
- Review transfer pricing arrangements of T&S APME to ensure compliance with local tax regulations and BP’s Transfer Pricing Policy & Procedure. Work with transfer pricing team to implement transfer pricing controls and put in place contemporaneous documentation to comply with local TP requirements.
- Lead indirect tax initiatives such as VAT implementation, Free Trade Agreements analysis to facilitate cross border trades, etc.
- Build and maintain relationships across the global tax function, the broader functional support teams within bp, T&S and those businesses that regularly interact with T&S. Resolve conflicts and manage difficult conversations on complex tax issues with the business
Managing Tax Audits and Tax governance
- Identify, evaluate and respond to tax risks arising from change of tax laws and practices of fiscal authorities. Lead the development of mitigation strategies in consultation with business and functions and supervise the implementation of the planned actions.
- Engage in tax advocacy efforts with the aim of providing constructive insight into the development of good tax policy.
- Ensure BP complies with all tax statutory and regulatory obligations, taxes are correctly recorded and reported in BP’s financial statements and tax controls are in place and effective.
- Work to reduce material tax exposures and work with local country tax teams to manage tax audits effectively.
- Lead the implementation of Group Tax’s initiatives and operating standards for T&S APME and work to actively support bp’s net zero ambitions.
- Professional Qualifications - Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Accountants, Chartered Tax Accountants, Accredited Tax Advisor of SIATP or Education – Bachelor of Accountancy, Bachelor of Law (specializing in Tax Law) or Masters of Taxation
- 8 - 10 years of tax experience in managing complex direct and indirect tax planning and advisory projects, international tax advisory, M&A tax advisory, transfer pricing advisory and tax controversy in a large MNC.
- In depth technical expertise covering indirect tax, international tax and transfer pricing.
- Experience in managing tax audits and controversies, disputes resolution and tax settlement.
- Strong leadership and inter-personal skills in developing relationships with external (government agencies, tax authorities, tax counsels, etc.) and internal clients (business, finance and other functions)