Who we are and what we do
We are a global team spread across the world. We seek to drive tax value across our supply chains, ensuring the group meets its tax obligations, building open and constructive relationships with tax authorities, and supporting our businesses to deliver bp’s vision.
Our role in the new finance entity
Our tax profile is set to change as we transition to an integrated energy company, amidst a period of broader social and regulatory evolution. We will navigate the changing tax environment to unlock business value and, knowing that our size, scale and the nature of our products mean our tax contributions are often hugely significant for local and national economies, we will seek to maintain and build on the trust and support of policymakers.
About this role
The Tax Advisor reports to the Senior Tax Manager on our Production & Operations team and will provide tax planning and tax advice to the Gulf of Mexico and BPX upstream business, and to the US refineries. The role will assist senior level advisors in providing tax analysis and tax advice to the US upstream businesses and refineries, as well as provide direct support on projects with appropriate level of complexity. You support Production & Operations Tax accountability to ensure tax attributes are correctly represented in business evaluations and that BP Tax complies with tax laws at the federal and state levels. You will be a key contributor to the Production & Operations Tax team and will assist as needed across the range of responsibilities within the team.
Essential Education and ExperienceThe successful candidate will have a Juris Doctorate degree with 5+ years of relevant tax planning and advisory experience in the oil, gas, and commodity industry. You understand US corporate tax law and have demonstrated experience reviewing, drafting, and negotiating corporate governance and transaction documents as it relates to tax matters. You know the importance of using financial modelling and business drivers and can communicate how they impact and are impacted by US tax requirements. You have excellent analytical skills in the area of US Tax requirements. To succeed in this role, you need excellent writing skills for purposes of internal communication, drafting of corporate and transactional documents and delivering business advice. Of course, you have a strong understanding of financial and tax accounting including excellent analytical skills.
- The person will provide the Production & Operations businesses with tax advice and analysis of U.S. federal income tax law with a focus on tax laws as they relate to oil and gas operations.
- The person will meet with business personnel to advise and provide counsel on tax matters.
- The person will assist senior tax advisors in providing tax assurance on investment decisions and work to ensure completed transactions are reported correctly in the federal tax return.
- The person will support the Tax Operations audit team on inquiries from the fiscal authorities.
- The person will ensure that Production & Operations businesses are compliant with US federal tax laws and that business is conducted in a tax efficient manner.
What makes you stand out
- LLM or Tax Specialty
- Client Advisory Skills
- Financial and economic modelling capabilities and understanding