bp Castrol is seeking a highly motivated and meticulous candidate for the role of Technical Writer at our Castrol blending facility in Warminster, Pennsylvania. As a Castrol Technical Writer, you will develop and edit Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), as well as work instruction documents & manuals, and transform sophisticated processes & technical concepts into clear and concise documentation to align with the bp OMS system.
The development of SOPs is an integral part of a successful safety & quality system, as it provides individuals with the information to perform their job accurately and safely while facilitating consistency in the integrity of the end-result product. Publications reach a variety of audiences and may include manuals, communications, instructions, addendums, and other documents. Our Technical Writer will help build the knowledge and capabilities of routine activities at the plant, as it pertains to a particular task or function that is to be carried out at the site and plays a meaningful role in achieving our goals for safety, quality, and capability.
- Ensure that all operating SOP’s & Work Instructions (WI) are documented in the required OMS elements.
- Ensure document control policy is adhered to, per the quality manual, and OMS online requirements
- Build tests to go with procedures.
- Work with the leadership team to develop SOP’s/WI’s from equipment manuals and OEM training provided on-site
- Assist in Task Risk Assessments (i.e., safety & quality) for procedures & initiate Task Improvement Process (TIP)
- Once approved, the writer makes changes to the draft as needed
- Provide writing and designing skills for plant projects (i.e., cards, brochures, presentations, newsletters, signs, stickers, etc.).
- Help put together training packets for facilitators and maintain them.
- Improvements or changes to the current procedures must be noted in OMS or on draft procedure. After completion, the SOP writer presents the document/manual to the person(s) designated to approve
Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Minimum high school diploma with comparable work experience will be considered
Crucial Experience and Job Requirements:
- Ability to comprehend technical and non-technical information and transform it into useable and digestible information for the intended audience
- Ability to optimally use software and programs as required for the position, including Microsoft Office, Visio, Access, Acrobat, Lotus Notes, Ex. SAP, OMS, QSI, Ultimo
- Background and experience with writing, editing, and proofreading, as well as document & track progress of procedural updates.
- Applicants must possess outstanding composition and editing abilities.
- Essential skills include the ability to listen well and gain credibility with others.
- Ability to perform basic duties using Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Good organizational skills and detail oriented.
- Possess or acquire fundamental understanding industry or firm-specific standards and methods.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Work with facilitators, managers, and operators to write/revise procedures, and add linking info/docs for safety, quality, and corresponding procedures.
- Write procedures in way operators can understand and absorb the information and look for areas in the process that need help/fixing/addressing.
- Bring facility procedures in-line with BP template requirements.
- Meet with select members of each department or group and acquires detailed knowledge of each unit's operations and/or procedural task
- Working independently, they then write a SOP to update manual describing the steps and requirements of each procedure.
- Writer may then partner with the training department to help employees understand and implement required changes.
- Support plant goals to provide a safe and effective workplace through the implementation of OMS elements.
- Provide leadership for OMS delivery in the Warminster plant.
- Ensure all processes implemented are documented; have accountabilities assigned; have proficiencies defined and assurance processes in place.
Considering Joining bp?
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and exciting environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. bp is committed to encouraging an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly. There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, excellent retirement benefits, and more!