Our purpose is reimagining energy for people and our planet. We want to help the world reach net zero and improve people’s lives. We will need to innovate at pace, and we are proud to be establishing the bp global centre for low carbon process technologies at the Saltend Chemicals Park in Hull, UK.
Building on a 55 year heritage in Hull, our global centre will bring together talented scientists and engineers to tackle the challenges of providing clean energy to the planet. This multi-disciplinary group will collaborate on the full innovation life cycle, from chemistry research and molecular innovation to pilot process demonstration and technoeconomic feasibility assessment, underpinned by world class engineering and analytical capability. We are offering new career development opportunities to join our diverse and inclusive team, based in world class laboratory and demonstration plant facilities.
We are delighted to present this fantastic opportunity for an Analytical Technologist to join our global team of skilled analytical practitioners who provide data and insight reaching across bp – from research and innovation into low carbon technologies, to critical business support for our global value chain.
Global Innovation Analytics is bp’s analytical science discipline. GIA is at the core of bp’s research, development and innovation with world class laboratory facilities in Hull and Pangbourne (UK), Bochum (Germany) and Shanghai (China).
Reporting into the Discipline Management Lead, Global Innovation Analytics, the Analytical Technologist will be based at bp’s global centre for low carbon process technologies in Hull. This team is responsible for providing proprietary analytical expertise and services in support of research, product development, deployment and operational excellence, primarily to underpin bp’s efforts in process development, including low carbon refining technologies.
Accountabilities will include:
- Delivering safe and compliant experimental operations, contributing to the development of a proactive safety culture.
- Organising own workload and co-ordinating with colleagues to deliver high quality, timely analytical data for a wide range of stakeholders.
- Providing a high level of theoretical and practical laboratory expertise, with a strong problem solving capability and meticulous attention to detail to equipment operation, methodology, lab operation and safety.
- The safe operation, calibration, method development, maintenance and troubleshooting of analytical instrumentation.
- Contributing to the design and execution of experimental work and interpretation of results.
- You will be qualified to degree level in chemistry or analytical science; or have the equivalent level of laboratory experience. You will be a self-starter with an agile mindset and ability to collaborate across your colleagues and stakeholders. You will be able to lead complex work independently and facilitate across colleagues and stakeholders.
- Knowledge and experience of gas chromatography (GC) techniques for the analysis of complex gas and/or liquid mixtures is highly desirable, knowledge of other analytical techniques such as X-ray analysis, adsorption techniques, elemental analysis, NMR, Raman and infra-red spectroscopy is desirable.
- It is imperative you have effective communication skills, being capable to present technical information to a wide range of audiences.
Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
At bp you have the opportunity to be part of Business Resource Groups (BRGs) which believe in the power of inclusion, deeper connections, and shared experiences. They provide a place for employees to learn and share knowledge, to connect, and to improve. The BRGs focus on and encourage talent engagement, development, and retention while creating a broadened sense of community and inclusion for bp employees. The groups cultivate leadership growth by involving employees in developmental opportunities they would not otherwise have access to. Formal and informal mentoring also help employees develop their professional goals and connect with colleagues.
Join a team of diverse and forward-thinking scientists and engineers who sit firmly at the heart of innovation and technology – advancing bp’s ambition towards a net zero world.