About the role
BP Maritime Services is currently looking for Third Officers to join it growing fleet!
A Third Officer has the authority to take action to ensure the safety of the vessel and crew and to effectively carry out the responsibilities of the role. They must seek guidance as directed by the Fleet Operating Management System (Fleet OMS) and the Standing Orders issued by the Master or Chief Officer.
- Maintain a navigational and anchor watch in compliance with all legislative, national, international and Company applicable requirements including the management of lookouts.
- Maintain a cargo watch in compliance with all legislative, national, international and Company requirements including the management of the deck watch.
- To carry out Deck Department duties, including Mooring and anchoring operations and taking stores, as directed by the Master
- Conform with all the requirements of the Fleet OMS applicable to the rank.
- Make the correct and appropriate entries into the ships log books.
- Maintain and correct Admiralty Light Lists and Radio signals
- Maintain and operate lifeboats, LSA (Life Saving Appliances) equipment, GMDSS, Flags and Signaling Equipment under the supervision of the Chief Officer.
- Operate the ship’s GMDSS equipment, for routine and distress communication
- Act as a member of the Shipboard Emergency Response and Fire Fighting Team in accordance with the muster lists and shipboard contingency plans.
- To carry out ISPS duties in accordance with the vessel’s Ship Security Plan.
- To become familiar with the roles and duties of the Second Officer.
- Assist the Master in the administration of the Catering Department.
- An Officer of Watch Certificate from a designated Maritime Authority.
- A good knowledge of all appropriate navigation systems.
- A good knowledge of safety and emergency systems and equipment on-board.
- Holding Specialized Oil/ Chemical or Gas Training in conjunction with tanker endorsement where applicable
This is a single trip assignment / temporary contract with opportunities of returning trips (based on performance and availability).
- A Class-II Certificate of Competency