Responsible for optimising an advantaged portfolio of assets and acting as the focal point between asset economists and front line traders, taking responsibility for generating value trading and optimisation income.
Traders are responsible for representing BP to the financial markets. They initiate and maintain positions based on current economic, political and financial conditions. This position is for a senior trader within the Crude trading team, based in Chicago.
- Works with team members to execute the trade strategy, helping to structure, price and execute customer-based transactions, and acting as a resource to internal stakeholders for matters related to the relevant markets.
- Develops relationships with market participants, maintaining continual dialogue, and leveraging existing external relationships to identify and execute origination opportunities.
- Complies with BP’s Code of Conduct and models BP’s Values & Behaviours.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of the relevant trading processes and procedures, understanding and interpreting the deals transacted by the trading team and complying with regulatory deal entry requirements
- Ensures the system of record is maintained and updated with new deals including the reconciliation of any discrepancies, and acts as point of contact for any issues or questions that arise from middle or back office regarding the end-to-end deal entry process.
- Ensures deal entry metrics remain in line with key performance indicator (KPI) expectations, and records explanations in respect to any deal entry errors.· Complies with BP’s Code of Conduct and models BP’s Values & Behaviours
- Varied Crude Oil trading & refinery supply book including both physical and financial positions.
- This may include:
- supporting customer physical and derivative quoting
- coordinating refinery supply
- optimizing asset positions
- Directing fundamental analysis in support of a market call.
- Derivative instrument pricing and valuation using a range of modern numerical and analytical pricing models and term structure models.
- Developing and managing external and internal relationships.
Essential Experience and Essential Education :
- Senior Trading experience in the Crude Oil or Heavy refined products markets
- Strong counterparty relationships (producers and refiners ideal).
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required (Postgraduate preferred) from a leading university with a major in at least one of the following areas: Economics, Finance, Engineering, Math, Statistics, Physics, International Trade or equivalent.
- Languages: Fluent written and spoken English.
Desirable criteria and qualifications :
- Practical trading knowledge of US / Canadian crude, pipelines, tankage and traditional refining outlets.
- A solid understanding of crude refining value and the refinery process.
- Offshore cargo trading experience.
- Proven P&L performance