Trading & Shipping
Job Family Group:
Supply & Trading Group
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We are working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together. You can participate in our new ambition to become a net zero company by 2050 or sooner, and to help the world get to net zero.
In Hungary, we operate bp’s Global Business Services organization which is an integrated part of bp. Our people want to play their part in solving the big complex challenges facing our world today and, guided by our bp values, are working to help meet the world’s need for more energy while lowering carbon emissions. In our offices in Budapest and Szeged, we work in customer service, finance, accounting, procurement, HR services and other enabling functions – providing solutions across all of bp. Join our team, and develop your career in an encouraging, forward-thinking environment!
Would you like to discover how our diverse, hardworking people are leading the way in making energy cleaner and better – and how you can play your part in our world-class team?
Join our Trading Analytics & Insight organization and advance your career as a
Trading Data Scientist
Trading Data Scientists/ Fundamentals Modelling & Innovation (FM&I) analysts work as part of a global team in self-empowered, cross-discipline squads. We endeavor to continuously improve Trading Analytics & Insights’ (TA&I) Analytics Edge, developing and automating fundamentals models to enable our partners across T&S to respond more accurately, efficiently, and holistically to market events, maximising commercial opportunities. You will play a key role working in diverse squads to develop innovative solutions to exciting business problems in a highly multifaceted commercial environment.
While working with traders and market strategists to provide focused analytical expertise to deliver high-quality, robust modelling and tooling to support commercial decision making, FM&I Analysts will use their experience of modelling methodologies, and econometrics to drive forward analytical efficiency.
In this role You will:
- Be responsible for delivering analysis and modelling to provide commercial insights, using relationships to stay up to date with internal developments in statistical techniques, whilst identifying process improvements and applying insights from the external environment.
- Develop and implement fundamental balances, pricing models and other tools to surface commercial opportunities within the low-carbon, power, gas, and oil markets, harnessing best practices and advanced modelling techniques.
- Engage with partners (traders and analysts) to ensure that solutions/models are optimal and deliver deep commercial insight.
- Identify repetitive processes that can be standardised into modules that can be reused across projects.
- Develop strong partnerships with trading and origination partners and market strategists to ensure critical information is captured and used in our models.
- Act as a subject matter expert and ensure that knowledge and information is shared and embedded across all members of the trading analytics community.
- Identify and prioritize fundamental and quantitative analysis/modelling that provide commercial insight for trading, present results to the necessary stakeholders and influence commercial decisions
What You will need to be successful:
- Relevant university education in STEM or other quantitative field (e.g. finance, engineering, computer science or equivalent experience)
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate analytics and influence commercial decisions
- Fluent English
- Knowledge of python and core libraries applicable to data science (e.g., pandas, NumPy, statsmodels, scikit-learn, etc...)
- Experience using visualisation tools to surface analytics; Power BI and Plotly Dash preferred
- Experience with a range of modelling techniques including, regression, time series analysis, forecast modelling and machine learning.
- Excellent problem-solving ability and strong attention to detail
- Experience using a coding language to develop models and analytical tools
- Experience manipulating and analysing large, complex datasets
- Independent, creative problem solver that can find alternative solutions to pycomplex problems
- Desire to continually improve with a passion to innovate and the ability to develop new analytical methodologies
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic trading environment
Desirable Experience & Skills:
- Knowledge and experience in global energy markets with the ability to identify and prioritise fundamental and quantitative analysis/modelling that provides commercial insights to the trading organisation
- Understanding of supply and demand drivers together with how physical and related financial instruments are traded.
- Track record of working with traders or other business partners to create commercially actionable models
- Practical knowledge of data engineering practices (designing and building robust data pipelines)
- Experience working with a data science platform; Dataiku preferred
- Understanding of SQL
- Experience working within an Agile squad
At bp, we provide the following environment & benefits to you:
- Different bonus opportunities based on performance, wide range of cafeteria elements
- Life & health insurance, medical care package
- Flexible working schedule: home office up to 2 days / week, based on team agreement
- Opportunity to build up long term career path and develop your skills with wide range of learning options
- Family friendly workplace e.g.: Extended parental leave, Mother-baby room
- Employees’ wellbeing programs e.g.: Employee Assistance Program, Company Recognition Program
- Possibility to join our social communities and networks
- Chill-out and collaboration spaces in our beautiful Budapest Agora and Szeged offices
- Assets like phone for private usage and company laptop are provided from the first day of employment with other equipment if requested
bp Hungary won the Most Attractive Employer 2023 Award (SSC / BSC sector) third time in a row at PwC's annual employer research. Come and join us!
Negligible travel should be expected with this role
Relocation may be negotiable for this role
This position is a hybrid of office/remote working
Agility core practices, Analytical Thinking, Computational Thinking, Continuous Learning, Data Analysis, Data cleansing and transformation, Data Management, Data Sourcing, Data visualization and interpretation, Dialogue enablement, Exposure Management, Machine Learning, Macroeconomics, Market analysis methods, Market Risk Management, Statistics, Trade execution and management, Trading Fundamentals, Sentiment and Trends, Trading knowledge
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, socioeconomic status, neurodiversity/neurocognitive functioning, veteran status or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation related to bp’s recruiting process (e.g., accessing the job application, completing required assessments, participating in telephone screenings or interviews, etc.). If you would like to request an accommodation related to the recruitment process, please contact us to request accommodations.
If you are selected for a position and depending upon your role, your employment may be contingent upon adherence to local policy. This may include pre-placement drug screening, medical review of physical fitness for the role, and background checks.