Responsible for managing the logistics of a deal to BP's best commercial advantage whilst ensuring all contractual and group compliance obligations are met, acting as a key operational interface with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring the front to back process runs smoothly and influencing trading decisions.
The Oil Operations team is dedicated to managing the risk and maximising the commercial value of each individual trade through collaboration and sharing of detailed knowledge with both internal and external parties. As a result of many years hard work and dedication to BP’s core values of safety, courage, one team, respect and excellence, the team has built a reputation which identifies them as the safest and most efficient oil transporters and earned global recognition as the ‘experts in oil movement’.
The Trading Operator manages the logistics of a deal to bp's best commercial advantage, ensuring that all contractual and group assurance obligations are met. Trading Operators also have a key role to play in ensuring that the front to back process runs smoothly and that valuable data and information is collected, entered and forwarded in a timely manner. This provides support to many other teams within IST allowing effective management of the business. GOE strives to be recognised industry wide as the ‘Employer of Choice’.
Essential experience/job requirements:
- Responsible for the contractual and financial performance of sales and purchase agreements. This will involve working closely with traders to maximise profits and minimise losses on trades
- Nominate oil movements and prepare all documentation instructions
- Where appropriate appoint Cargo Assurance and/or independent inspectors
- Monitor all liftings, maintaining awareness of demurrage implications and investigating outturn losses
- Adherence to HSSE and BP Shipping policies is essential
- Recognise and understand concepts of pre-finance and work with the credit teams to administer letters of credit, where appropriate
- Develop strong working relationships with traders, third parties, associates and other IST departments
- Enter in to the Trading Operations system of record, Operations Workbench (OWB), timely and accurate data entry of shipments and voyages
- Actively assist in the design and development of the systems that the business will be implementing for the future benefit of IST an, if requested, support and test new releases to ensure the system is fit for purpose
- Track stock positions within bp owned and third party tankage
- Have a thorough understanding of contractual agreements as well as our commercial position with respect to third party term contract
Trading Operators come from a wide variety of backgrounds with differing levels of experience and expertise, which is beneficial when considering the width of the role. It would be good but not essential if you already have some operational experience and a good working knowledge of the energy trading and shipping environment or a good
knowledge of refinery operations and blending.
You should be able to demonstrate or have a proven track record encompassing the following key foundation skills:
- Strong commercial instinct
- Flexible and open thinker
- Pro-active and independent worker
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritise and organise work
- Ability to work to numerous and frequent deadlines
- A strong team player
- Attention to detail
- Influencing skills
- Performance Bias - focuses efforts and prioritises work to deliver business value
- Business Awareness - takes account of inter-relationships between customers, suppliers and the organisation
- Partnership and Teamwork - actively engages and respects the diverse contributions of team, partners or networks
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Flexible working will also be considered.