Air BP has become the first aviation fuel supplier to achieve carbon neutrality for its into-plane fuelling services across an international network of over 250 Air BP operated facilities. The achievement follows a two-year journey, and was assured by the independent sustainability specialist company, ERM CVS Ltd.
Air BP carbon neutrality supports Air BP’s Environmental Solutions offer, which involves quantifying greenhouse gas emissions at Air BP operated locations from the point at which fuel is delivered to onsite airport storage facilities, to the sale of fuel ‘at the aircraft wing tip’. Carbon credits were purchased, with the support of BP Target Neutral, which invests in low carbon development projects around the world, to offset the emissions.
Commenting on the achievement, Jon Platt, vice president, Air BP, said: “We are extremely proud to achieve this significant accreditation. It demonstrates we are 100% committed to our environmental strategy, as well as supporting the aviation industry’s ambitious carbon reduction goals. We are leading by example, and expect this recognition will inspire and influence others.”
Air BP has made a 10-year commitment to retaining the accreditation through adhering to a carbon reduction plan. The plan targets a five percent reduction in carbon emissions using a number of initiatives. These include driving efficiency in technologies such as start/stop technology on vehicles; improving operational efficiency of waste management and stock management; maximising the options for supplying biofuel; and introducing initiatives on which to develop a lower carbon future. Any residual emissions, following these reductions, will be offset through BP Target Neutral.
Air BP is also helping customers to achieve their carbon reduction goals through its Environmental Solutions offer launched at this year’s European Business Aviation Convention and Exhibition. The offer involves the provision of technical capabilities and knowledge to help customers achieve their carbon goals through a ‘reduce, replace and neutralise’ management approach.
Notes to editors
- As the aviation division of BP, Air BP is one of the world's largest suppliers of aviation fuel products and services. It currently supplies over seven billion gallons of jet kerosene and aviation gasoline to its customers across the globe each year.
- Through its direct operations, Air BP fuels more than 6,000 flights every day – that is over four aircraft every minute or one every 15 seconds. The company supplies fuel at more than 800 global locations in over 50 countries serving customers from private pilots to some of the world’s largest airlines.
- Air BP’s technical and operations experts provide a complete aviation fuel consultancy service, including the design, build and operation of aviation fueling facilities, to help customers protect their operations and manage risks.
- Customers range from domestic and international airlines, the military, business and private aircraft owners, as well as international airports and airfield operators.
- Air BP’s services for the general aviation and business aviation sector include the Sterling Card, which can be used throughout the global network, including self-serve locations, providing easy access to fuel for thousands of Air BP clients including private pilots, aircraft management companies and corporate flight departments. Air BP’s card programmes were introduced in 1993 to bridge the gap between airline, general business and private aviation customers as an easy means of payment for aviation fuel on an as needed basis.
- For a full list of locations served by Air BP, go to www.airbp.com/wheretofind
BP Target Neutral
- BP Target Neutral is administered by BP as a not-for-profit scheme – BP covers BP Target Neutral’s operating costs. BP Target Neutral’s work is governed by an independent Advisory & Assurance Panel of prominent environmental and industry experts. The panel ensures that all policies and activities conform to best practice in carbon management, and where possible will seek to set new standards for that best practice.
- Members of the BP Target Neutral Advisory & Assurance Panel include Mark Kenber, former CEO of the Climate Group, Mike Barry, Director of Plan A, M&S, Rita Clifton, CBE and Tim Smit, Co-Founder Eden Project.
- For more information please visit www.bptargetneutral.com
Emerald Media, +44 1420 560094, Jane.Stanbury@emeraldmedia.co.uk