See a collection of images and articles that capture the expansion and adaption of the refinery as it introduced new technology and changed to suit customer needs. At the time of closure the refinery had a crude refining capacity of 146KBD, making it the largest oil refinery in Australia.
LPG bottling plant begins operation, 27 May 1957.
New catalytic reformer comes on-stream, 9 February 1959.
Lubricating oil units being constructed, 1962.
Tower crane used for construction of the residue catalytic cracker stack, 1954.
Double desalter installed for no. 2 crude distillation unit, August 1986.
A new convertor is installed on the residue catalytic cracker, 1987.
Workers share their thoughts following the installation of a new cracker unit, 1987.
The Mogas project, completed in 1996, resulted in the lowering of lead levels in petrol and the construction of the refinery’s continuous catalytic reformer unit.
Crude tank 313 construction, 1996
Aerial shot of Kwinana refinery, 1998
Aerial shot of Kwinana refinery, 2019
Hydrofiner 3 is constructed, 2005.
The control room undergoes a major upgrade, reflecting new technology and refinery growth, 1989.
A new heater is installed on the vacuum distillation unit as part of the furnace upgrade, 1992.