Information about our organisation and websites
Site Traffic Information and Cookies
- ...are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site and use its features, e.g., accessing secured areas. Without these cookies some of the services you’ve asked for cannot be provided;
- ...enhance the performance of the website by collecting information about how visitors use it (e.g., to maintain a consistent looks and feel for the visitor).
The information these cookies collect is not used to send you targeted advertising or remember where you’ve been on the internet.
Data automatically collected
We log visitor's domain and IP address automatically; this information does not identify you as an individual, but only the computer that is being used to view the site. This data is used to see where the site is being used in the world to ensure coverage, and for click stream analysis to help better understand site usage, so that we can improve our service to you. We do not link information automatically logged by such means with personal data about specific individuals.
- To help us track usage patterns in order to improve and manage our sites.
- To record preferences in order to personalise your visit.
Four types of cookies
- Session Cookies: These are temporary cookies that only remain until your browser is closed. They are used by our web application in order to maintain the information relating to your transaction from page to page following any input, such as when a form is completed over several screens.
- Web Analytics Cookies: These cookies are used to help us compile anonymous statistics in order to improve and manage our sites. An example of the information collected would be the path you used to gain access to the site and your patterns of browsing when navigating the site. They are ‘persistent’ meaning they are not deleted when the browser is closed and expire after a period of 2 year unless you visit the same site within the 2 year period in which case the same cookie is refreshed and a new 2 year period begins.
- nformation Cookies: These cookies allow the site to remember how you have answered a question in order to change the content displayed to you. For example, if you have already taken a survey this cookie will ensure you are not asked again. They are ‘persistent’ meaning they are not deleted when the browser is closed, and expire after a period of 2 months.
- Membership Cookies: These cookies are used to provide you with access to membership services you have subscribed to. They are ‘persistent’ meaning they are not deleted when the browser is closed, and expire after a period of 12 months.
You can still use most of this site with cookies turned off. To stop cookies being placed on your terminal equipment refer to your specific internet browser. In a few cases blocking cookies may reduce the functionality of some sites or prevent access to them depending on your chosen browser options. Cookies can also easily be deleted through your specific internet browser, although this means your settings will not be retained.
Data collection and use
When you request information through this site, we may need to know some personal information about you. When emailing us, or subscribing for free news or information we may need your e-mail address, name and other limited personal identifiers, typically name and contact number. If you chose to purchase information, goods, products or services, we will usually require some additional limited financial details. Where you request employment related services or products we will usually need limited data about personal identifiers, education, employment, family and financial details. Your personal data will be processed to provide information, goods, products and services you request in the form that you require. If we require sensitive personal data then we will ensure that the collection and use is in strict accordance with the “applicable legislation” principles of data protection and data privacy. We will not pass your details to anyone else outside the BP Group without your permission. Since BP operates globally, the information you submit may be transferred outside of the European Economic Area. This and all other transmissions will remain secure and under our sole control. By clicking the 'I accept' button where you offer your information in return for services, you consent to such a transfer. If we look to use your personal data for a new purpose, beyond what it was originally provided for, we will ask for your consent. You can choose to provide this consent in advance by indicating in the 'opt-in' box at the point that personal data is collected. Where you have subscribed to receive our newsletter(s), we are able to ensure you receive further relative and informative communications by following your interactions with that communication, such as whether you receive, open or click on a link within an email communication. We offer you an unsubscribe in all our further communications.
Data is held for a limited period for the purposes of improving services offered after which time it is depersonalised and non-identifiable. We do not collect any additional information about you other than that outlined above.
Access to your personal data
Disclosure and Visitor choice
You may unsubscribe or opt-out of services at any time, details of how to opt-out vary between BP sites but generally it is a simple process. Where we disclose your personal data for those purposes stated, we provide you with the means to opt-out of disclosure by either indicating in a box at the point of the site where personal data is collected or by sending an email . Where we disclose your personal data for purposes, which are different to those, stated we offer you the opportunity to consent prior to disclosure.
BP is committed to protecting the privacy needs of children and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. BP does not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 and BP does not target its websites to children under 13.
We have implemented security policies, rules and technical measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control that complies fully with data privacy & protection legislation appropriate to the jurisdiction applicable to the site. The security measures are designed to prevent unauthorised access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorised modification & unlawful destruction or accidental loss. At present we do not give visitors to our website the option of using a secure transmission method to send us their personal data.