1. Quantify – Our first step is to assess your greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions based on accurate and complete raw data. Measurement of GHG emissions must be in accordance with accepted standards (e.g. ISO 14064 series, ISO 14040 series, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol standards) and be based on publicly available and nationally relevant emissions factors from reputable and recognised sources. Quantifying your emissions is a great way to start to your low carbon journey. It will highlight the most carbon intensive areas of your business which are often the areas where you can make the biggest gains in efficiency and cost savings.
2. Set Carbon Reduction Targets – Once your GHG emissions are understood, the next step is to implement an emissions reduction plan and declare a commitment to carbon neutrality by adopting ‘reduce/replace’ strategies. The plan must identify the emissions reduction measures to be undertaken and the quantity of emissions expected to be reduced over a specified timeframe.
Reduce identifies those areas where you can achieve efficiencies that cut your carbon emissions. For example, by training drivers to maximise fuel efficiency through changes to their driving behaviour.
Replace identifies processes, products or services for which lower carbon alternatives can be sourced. For example, switching to more efficient fuels and using low viscosity oils or when the time comes to renew a vehicle, a change to a more efficient combustion, hybrid or electric vehicle can have an even more dramatic effect on carbon emissions.
3. Offset unavoidable emissions – Any residual GHG emissions should be offset by purchasing offsetting services through bp Target Neutral. As a member of ICROA, bp Target Neutral is committed to sourcing high quality carbon credits from offset projects that are registered, validated and verified.
4. Review – Once an application has been submitted, bp Target Neutral will review the application and make sure it has been filled out in accordance with the bp Target Neutral Carbon Neutral Protocol. During application renewal after 12 months, bp Target Neutral will also check the emissions reductions set out in the emissions reduction plan have been achieved.
5. Communicate – If reporting your Carbon Neutral claim externally, you must transparently and accurately communicate your carbon status and footprint. This should include as a minimum: the scope and boundary of your claim, how long it is valid for and which standards you have complied with.