BPMP delivers strong operational results
Solid quarterly financial results exceeded the IPO forecasts for Net income, Adjusted EBITDA, and Cash available for distribution attributable to the Partnership Increased Partnership's distribution by half a cent per unit over minimum
* Adjusted EBITDA and cash available for distribution are non-GAAP supplemental financial measures. See reconciliation tables later in this press release.
* Interests in Mars and Mardi Gras were contributed to the Partnership on October 30, 2017. See Factors Affecting Our Comparability for further detail. Distribution declared for 4Q17 represents the prorated minimum quarterly distribution for the period from October 30, 2017 to December 31, 2017.
Webcast and Conference Call
A webcast and conference call will be held at 9:00 a.m. CDT, hosted by Robert Zinsmeister, Chief Executive Officer, Craig Coburn, Chief Financial Officer, and Brian Sullivan, Vice President Investor Relations, to discuss BPMP’s performance in the first quarter 2018. Interested parties may listen to the presentation at www.bpmidstreampartners.com, by clicking on the “2018 First Quarter Financial Results Webcast” link, found under the "Events & presentations" section. A replay of the webcast will be available following the live event. The Partnership has also posted an investor presentation to its website. Information on the Partnership's website does not constitute a portion of this press release.
"We have delivered strong first quarter results, underpinned by organic growth. We declared an increased distribution for the quarter, signaling our confidence in the sustainable performance of the Partnership and the forecast organic growth in cash available for distribution throughout 2018. This is aligned with our differentiated investment proposition, to deliver unit holders consistent, top-tier distribution growth."Robert Zinsmeister – Chief Executive Officer
About BP Midstream Partners
BPMP is a fee-based, growth-oriented master limited partnership formed by BP Pipelines (North America), Inc. (“BP Pipelines”) to own, operate, develop and acquire pipelines and other midstream assets. BPMP’s assets consist of interests in entities that own crude oil, natural gas, refined products and diluent pipelines serving as key infrastructure for BP and other customers to transport onshore crude oil production to BP’s Whiting Refinery and offshore crude oil and natural gas production to key refining markets and trading and distribution hubs. Certain of BPMP’s assets deliver refined products and diluent from the Whiting Refinery and other U.S. supply hubs to major demand centers.
For more information on BPMP and the assets owned by BPMP, please visit www.bpmidstreampartners.com.
Factors Affecting Comparability
- The financial results prior to our initial public offering (the "IPO") on October 30, 2017 only included the results of the BP2, River Rouge and Diamondback pipeline systems and related assets (collectively, “our accounting predecessor”, the “Predecessor”, or the “Wholly Owned Assets”). Our equity method investment, Mars Pipeline Company LLC, and our consolidated subsidiary, Mardi Gras Transportation System Company LLC, are not included in the results of our accounting predecessor.
- Effective October 30, 2017, we pay an annual fee to BP Pipelines, initially $13.3 million, for general and administrative services, and reimburses BP Pipelines for operating services under an omnibus agreement with BP Pipelines. In addition, following the IPO we incur incremental cash expenses associated with being a publicly traded partnership.
- Effective October 30, 2017, we entered into commercial agreements that contain minimum volume commitments with a major related-party customer. These agreements were not in place prior to the IPO.
- Federal and state income taxes were reflected on the historical financial statements of our accounting predecessor. BPMP is a non-taxable entity and does not record any income tax expense in its consolidated financial statements.
Factors affecting comparability are detailed further in the “Factors Affecting the Comparability of Our Financial Results” in our quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the three months ended March 31, 2018 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) on May 10, 2018.
Certain statements contained in this news release constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements represent BPMP’s expectations or beliefs concerning future events, and it is possible that the results described in this news release will not be achieved. These forwardlooking statements are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of BPMP’s control, which could cause actual results to differ materially from the results discussed in the forward-looking statements. Any forwardlooking statement speaks only as of the date on which it is made, and, except as required by law, BPMP does not undertake any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. New factors emerge from time to time, and it is not possible for BPMP to predict all such factors. When considering these forward-looking statements, you should keep in mind the risk factors and other cautionary statements found in BPMP’s filings with the SEC, including the annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2017 filed with SEC on March 22, 2018. The risk factors and other factors noted in BPMP’s SEC filings could cause its actual results to differ materially from those contained in any forward-looking statement.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This press release includes the terms Adjusted EBITDA and cash available for distribution. Adjusted EBITDA and cash available for distribution are non-GAAP supplemental financial measures that management and external users of our consolidated financial statements, such as industry analysts, investors, lenders and rating agencies, may use to assess:
- our operating performance as compared to other publicly traded partnerships in the midstream energy industry, without regard to historical cost basis or, in the case of Adjusted EBITDA, financing methods;
- the ability of our business to generate sufficient cash to support our decision to make distributions to our unitholders;
- our ability to incur and service debt and fund capital expenditures; and
- the viability of acquisitions and other capital expenditure projects and the returns on investment of various investment opportunities.
We believe that the presentation of Adjusted EBITDA and cash available for distribution provides useful information to investors in assessing our financial condition and results of operations. The GAAP measures most directly comparable to Adjusted EBITDA and cash available for distribution are net income and net cash provided by operating activities, respectively. Adjusted EBITDA and cash available for distribution should not be considered as an alternative to GAAP net income or net cash provided by operating activities.
Adjusted EBITDA and cash available for distribution have important limitations as analytical tools because they exclude some but not all items that affect net income and net cash provided by operating activities. You should not consider Adjusted EBITDA or cash available for distribution in isolation or as a substitute for analysis of our results as reported under GAAP. Additionally, because Adjusted EBITDA and cash available for distribution may be defined differently by other companies in our industry, our definition of Adjusted EBITDA and cash available for distribution may not be comparable to similarly titled measures of other companies, thereby diminishing its utility.
References to Adjusted EBITDA in this press release refer to net income before net interest expense, income taxes, gain or loss from disposition of property, plant and equipment and depreciation and amortization, plus cash distributed to the Partnership from equity method investments for the applicable period, less income from equity method investments. We define Adjusted EBITDA attributable to the Partnership as Adjusted EBITDA less Adjusted EBITDA attributable to noncontrolling interests. We define cash available for distribution as Adjusted EBITDA attributable to the Partnership plus net adjustments from volume deficiency agreements, less maintenance capital expenditures, net interest paid/received, cash reserves, and income taxes paid. Cash available for distribution will not reflect changes in working capital balances.
RESULTS OF OPERATIONS (UNAUDITED)
ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL DATA
RECONCILIATION OF ADJUSTED EBITDA AND CASH AVAILABLE FOR DISTRIBUTION TO NET INCOME
RECONCILIATION OF ADJUSTED EBITDA AND CASH AVAILABLE FOR DISTRIBUTION TO NET CASH PROVIDED BY OPERATING ACTIVITIES
SELECTED OPERATING DATA
SELECTED BALANCE SHEET DATA (UNAUDITED)