BP ventures was set up more than 10 years ago to identify and invest in private, high-growth, game-changing technology companies to accelerate innovation across the entire energy spectrum
We have invested over $350 million in technology companies across more than 40 entities with more than 200 co-investors.
Venturing plays a key role in BP’s strategy, which was launched in February 2017, by advancing the drive towards a low carbon energy transition future, leveraging our investments across a wide portfolio of relevant technology businesses.
What our venture companies say about BP ventures
Jim Macias, president and chief executive, Fulcrum BioEnergy
We are really pleased with our relationship with BP. Their investment has allowed us to bring large volumes of fuel to the customer sooner than we could without their involvement.
Tom Schuler, president and chief executive, Solidia Technologies
BP’s investment has been crucial; their experience in licensing helped us assemble contracts and be successful short term and long term.
Paul Carragher, chief executive, BiSN
It’s really the expertise and support they provide that has really helped BiSN. Being associated with BP has been very helpful, especially when it comes to other customers.
Our investment areas of interest
Our portfolio is focused primarily on emerging technologies in oil and gas exploration and production and downstream conversion processes. In addition, we have a renewed strategic focus on five key areas: bio and low carbon products; carbon management; power and storage; advanced mobility; and digital transformation.
What makes BP ventures different?
We invest smartly, to help develop the company and use the technology quickly.
We are both an investor and an end-user of the technologies in which we invest. That creates a longer-term commitment, because we look beyond a quick financial return; we want to see these new technologies deployed into our businesses.
Feedback from the companies in which we invest suggests that we feel different, too, from other venture capital funds. We bring experience and capabilities in strategy development, marketing, health and safety, procurement, finance and contracting. Finally, our investments and our engagements are guided by our strongly held values of safety, respect, excellence, courage and one team.
Meet the team
BP ventures has a global remit and works closely with start-ups, entrepreneurs and industry partners. Meet the team to find out more about our capabilities and broad range of focus.
- We have invested over $350 million in corporate venturing since 2006.
- Our portfolio includes more than 40 active investments, with more than 200 co-investors and 12 technologies used in BP.
- We invest in emerging and disruptive technologies across Upstream, Downstream and low carbon.
- We have announced nine new venture investments since 2016.
- September 2017 BP announces $10 million investment and strategic partnership with leading on demand jet charter marketplace Victor
- July 2017 BiSN announces multimillion pound investment agreement
- June 2017 Caltech startup Beyond Limits secures investment of $20 million from BP ventures
- March 2017 BP announces $25 million investment in Tricoya Ventures UK Limited (TVUK)
- January 2017 Avantium acquires Liquid light
- December 2016 Acquisition of Breathing Buildings Limited
- November 2016 BP and SMG deepen their relationship
- November 2016 BP announces investment of $30 million in biojet producer Fulcrum
- July 2016 Advanced BioCatalytics closes round of financing lead by BP ventures
- April 2016 Air BP acquires a stake in RocketRoute
- February 2016 BP ventures named as participant in proposed Tricoya consortium
- December 2015 Vestas acquires leading wind services provider Upwind Solutions
- April 2015 DuPont Acquires Taxon Biosciences, Inc.