BP Ventures was set up more than ten years ago to identify and invest in private, high growth, game-changing technology companies, accelerating innovation across the entire energy spectrum.
Since then, we have invested over $400 million in technology companies across more than 40 entities with more than 200 co-investors.
Venturing plays a key role in BP’s strategy to tackle the dual challenge of meeting the world’s need for more energy, while at the same time reducing carbon emissions. We will do this by leveraging our investments across a portfolio of relevant technology businesses that will help BP transition to a low carbon company.
BP Ventures is set up to grow new energy businesses, in our core businesses in the upstream, downstream and alternative energy and in five new areas:
- Advanced mobility
- Power and storage
- Carbon management
- Bio and low carbon products
- Digital transformation
A venturing company with a difference
At BP Ventures we look beyond a quick financial return from the investments we make. We want to see new technologies deployed into our businesses, and we recognise this takes effort, commitment and specialist skills.
We see four points of difference between BP Ventures and other venture and corporate venture capitalists:
1. We are an energy thought leader
We bring experience and expertise across different energy and mobility value chains and are taking an active role in transitioning to lower carbon
2. We have broad capabilities to help grow new energy businesses
Our investment is as much about our strategic, commercialisation and technical capabilities and global networks as about our financial support
3. We are committed to the long run
Our global track record demonstrates mutual interest in making our investments successful - as an investor and as a user of the technology
4. We are trusted, long-term partners
We behave with integrity and are willing to act boldly and entrepreneurially for mutually beneficial outcomes.
What our venture companies say about BP Ventures
Feedback from the companies in which we invest suggests that we feel different from other venture capital funds. Hear directly from some of the CEOs with whom we work.
Jim Macias, president and chief executive, Fulcrum BioEnergy
We are really pleased with our relationship with BP. Their investment has allowed us to bring large volumes of fuel to the customer sooner than we could without their involvement.
Tom Schuler, president and chief executive, Solidia Technologies
BP’s investment has been crucial; their experience in licensing helped us assemble contracts and be successful short term and long term.
Paul Carragher, chief executive, BiSN
It’s really the expertise and support they provide that has really helped BiSN. Being associated with BP has been very helpful, especially when it comes to other customers.
- May 2018 BP invests in ultra-fast charging battery company StoreDot
- May 2018 BP and China’s NIO Capital to explore opportunities in advanced mobility
- March 2018 BP Ventures to invest $500,000 in clean energy consortium
- January 2018 BP invests in mobile electric vehicle charging company FreeWire to deliver rapid charging at retail sites
- January 2018 Victor raises $18m from BBA Aviation, BP Ventures and existing shareholders (pdf)
- September 2017 BP announces $10 million investment and strategic partnership with leading on demand jet charter marketplace Victor
- July 2017 BiSN announces multimillion pound investment agreement
- June 2017 Caltech startup Beyond Limits secures investment of $20 million from BP ventures
- March 2017 BP announces $25 million investment in Tricoya Ventures UK Limited (TVUK)
- January 2017 Avantium acquires Liquid light
- December 2016 Acquisition of Breathing Buildings Limited
- November 2016 BP and SMG deepen their relationship
- November 2016 BP announces investment of $30 million in biojet producer Fulcrum
- July 2016 Advanced BioCatalytics closes round of financing lead by BP ventures
- April 2016 Air BP acquires a stake in RocketRoute
- February 2016 BP ventures named as participant in proposed Tricoya consortium
- December 2015 Vestas acquires leading wind services provider Upwind Solutions
- April 2015 DuPont Acquires Taxon Biosciences, Inc.