BP is dedicated to maintaining our values
What we do
BP in Canada focuses on developing energy from Canada’s oil sands, home to the third-largest crude reserves in the world.
Tapping into our vast experience in producing oil and gas from reservoirs in offshore environments, BP in Canada is also pursuing opportunities in frontier areas such as the Arctic and Nova Scotia.
Our Integrated supply and trading business spans the country and makes us one of the top oil and natural gas marketers and traders in Canada.
BP is dedicated to maintaining values of safety, respect, excellence, courage and one team. We uphold these values both internally, and externally in the areas we operate. The company holds interests in three oil sands assets in the Athabasca region of northeast Alberta:
- Sunrise is a 50:50 partnership between Husky Energy and BP, with Husky as the operator. It is a world-class reservoir with production anticipated over a 40-plus year life span. Phase one commenced operations in late 2014.
- Pike is a 50:50 joint venture with Devon NEC Corporation as operator. Pike phase one was granted regulatory approval in November 2014 and is currently in the design and planning stage. Areas for future development are being appraised by delineation drilling and seismic.
- Terre de Grace is a partnership with Value Creation Inc. BP is a 75% owner and the operator of this project. Initial appraisal drilling and seismic are complete.
The resource potential of these projects is expected to provide a secure supply of oil to consumers in North America. We recognize that oil sands projects raise environmental challenges and we are actively seeking ways to undertake these projects while minimizing the environmental footprint. Our oil sands projects, whether BP-operated or not, are developed in consultation with local communities.
BP is exploring parts of the Beaufort Sea in Canada’s Arctic under a joint operating agreement with ExxonMobil Canada and project operator Imperial Oil Ventures Resources. BP holds a 100% interest in two other exploration blocks in the Beaufort Sea. In total, BP holds an interest in more than 8,000 square kilometres in exploration licences.
The Scotian Basin Exploration Project is a proposed exploration programme that includes seismic acquisition and drilling across four exploration licences (ELs 2431, 2432, 2433 and 2434), located approximately 300 kilometres offshore Nova Scotia. BP holds a 50% interest in the ELs and is the operator of the exploration programme. Hess Canada holds a 50% interest in the ELs.
Newfoundland and Labrador
BP holds an interest in five exploration licences in the Flemish Pass Basin offshore Newfoundland and Labrador. EL 1140 and 1141: Statoil 34% (operator); Exxon Mobil 33%; BP Canada 33% EL 1142: Statoil 50% (operator); BP Canada 50% EL 1125 and 1126: Statoil (operator) 40%, Chevron 40%, BP Canada 10% and BG 10%
BP’s goal is to play an active, dedicated role in the communities where we live and work. We invest in people and programmes that pursue sustainable and long-lasting progress in three key areas: education, environment and community.
Education is the key to a strong future of responsible, energy-conscious citizens and a highly skilled workforce. Based on this belief, BP supports youth and education initiatives by investing in both scholarships and educational programs.
Respect for the environment is vital to the strength and resiliency of future communities. We are focused on meaningful environmental enhancement and protection project initiatives.
The value of our community investment is magnified by providing opportunities for our employees to be engaged. Throughout the year, BP employees and retirees demonstrate their community spirit by lending a helping hand, sharing professional skills and making monetary donations. BP supports employees who donate to charities or volunteer by matching funds through our employee matching program. BP Canada’s volunteer retirees capitalize and leverage their skills, experiences and talents to help the community. They have contributed thousands of hours of service to make Calgary a better place to live. Through these people and programmes, we are committed to making positive and long-lasting contributions to communities.
BP: A+ for Energy
BP Canada’s flagship community investment programme is A+ for Energy. BP’s A+ for Energy programme awards Alberta and Northwest Territories teachers grants up to $10,000 to help them bring energy education projects to life and teach students about energy and energy conservation in innovative and engaging ways. Since 2007, BP has awarded millions of dollars in grants and educational materials to kindergarten to grade 12 teachers for energy projects across all disciplines. BP is extremely proud of the impact A+ for Energy has made and continues to make with Alberta and Northwest Territories schools.
BP Canada community investment criteria
We are unable to fund all programmes and associations. Please review the list below of programmes and associations that we will not provide funding to:
- Political or religious organizations
- Disease-specific causes (e.g. diabetes)
- Technical or professional associations, societies or memberships (e.g. APEGGA)
- Construction of buildings or physical complexes (e.g. sports arenas)
- Sports programmes (e.g. teams or leagues), unless a specific company programme is in place
- Recreational organizations (e.g. singing in a choir, playing instruments for an orchestra)
- Parent-teacher associations and private foundations
- Salaries for employees (e.g. existing general operating expenses)
- Sponsorships that are purely marketing-based
- Individual fundraising efforts
- Travel by groups or individuals
- Tuition costs
Submit an online application form for all funding requests. All funding requests are confidential to BP Canada. We will notify you once your application has been approved.
BP offices in Canada
Please use the contact details below to call or write to us at BP Canada. We aim to deal with your enquiries as quickly as possible.
BP Canada Energy Group 240- 4th Avenue SW Calgary AB T2P 2H8 Canada
Phone: (403) 233-1313
BP Canada Energy Group 10th Floor, Founders Square 1701 Hollis Street Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3M8 Canada
Email: email@example.com (for Scotian Basin Exploration Project queries only).
Phone: (902) 420-2332