BP Oil NZ Limited is committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 (“Privacy Act”) and this Privacy Statement.
This Privacy Statement explains how we may collect, use and disclose information that identifies you (your “personal information”). This may include, for example, your name, addresses, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, date of birth, credit card information and location information. The General Privacy Statement (see section 2 below) applies to all information collected by BP. In addition, the BPMe Privacy Statement (see section 3 below) sets out specific privacy information relating to the BPMe App.
By using any of our services that incorporate this Privacy Statement, including BP’s websites, the BPMe App and the other BP services described below, you confirm that you have read, understood and agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement.
In this Privacy Statement, references to ‘BP’, ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ refer to “BP Oil NZ Limited”.
2. General Privacy Statement
Collecting your personal information
We may collect personal information about you to enable us to provide services to you, when you provide us with personal information or otherwise authorise us to collect your personal information. For example, when you:
- order products or services from us or apply for or use a BP account;
- apply for or use a Wild Bean Cafe key tag;
- enter a BP competition or promotion; or
- use any of our websites – for example, www.bp.co.nz, https://bpwin.co.nz and https://cafekeytag.co.nz - or the BPMe App.
You do not have to provide us with information we request, however, it may affect the goods and services we can provide to you or your use of our websites or the BPMe App.
Any personal information will be collected directly from you, unless you have authorised us to collect that information from another party.
Using your personal information
The personal information that we collect may be used in accordance with the Privacy Act, including for the following purposes:
- providing you with the products and services you have requested or administering your BP account;
- dealing with your requests, enquiries or complaints and other customer care related activities;
- for direct marketing purposes, such as informing you about special offers, products and services or promotions of BP or our partners which we think may be of interest to you – unless you have informed us that you do not wish to receive any marketing offers;
- for promotional and publicity purposes – for example, competitions and other promotions run by us;
- for market research and surveys;
- verifying your identity and assisting you in case you forget your password or login details where these are necessary to access our products or services;
- analysing information in an anonymised aggregated form, with identifiable characteristics removed so that you will remain anonymous, including to gain an insight into the use, popularity and visibility of the BPMe App and/or our websites;
- complying with our legal obligations; and
- (a) any other purpose authorised by you.
We may communicate with you by text message, push notifications, email and other electronic means.
If you no longer wish to receive such marketing communications, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time or follow the unsubscribe instructions contained in each electronic marketing communication.
Collecting other information you provide to us
If you provide us with any personal information about a third party, you confirm that you are authorised by the individual concerned to provide such personal information to us for our intended use and that you have informed them of their right to access and request correction of their personal information.
Protecting your personal information and keeping it up to date
We will take all practicable steps to safeguard the confidentiality and security of your personal information but cannot guarantee the security of data. You acknowledge the inherent security risks of providing information over the internet and acknowledge that BP is not responsible for any breach of security that is outside of BP’s reasonable control.
We will generally rely on you to ensure the information we hold about you is accurate and will only make changes to your personal information if you notify us. If you wish to make any changes to your personal information, you may contact us at email@example.com. You will need to provide us with sufficient information to identify you before any changes can be made.
Disclosing your personal information to other parties
We may disclose your personal information to the following third parties if we consider it necessary to do so for the purposes listed above:
- our related companies or any company that we are considering selling all or part of our business to;
- our service providers – for example, providers of transaction processing, hosting and support services, and marketing and promotional agencies for use in connection with competitions and promotions run by us;
- any other third parties who you authorise disclosure to; and
- any third party if the information is in a fully anonymised and/or aggregated form – for example, we may share aggregated information about our base of users of the BPMe App and our websites with our affiliates, partners, advertisers and other third parties for data analytical analysis.
Since BP and our suppliers operate globally, this may mean that we transfer your personal information to other countries.
BP does not sell or otherwise release your personal information to third parties for the purpose of allowing them to market their products and services to you.
Collecting and using information that does not identify you
If you use any BP website or the BPMe App we may also collect the following information that does not identify a particular user – it only identifies the computer or mobile device that is being used to access the BP website or BPMe App:
- Analytics - Data about your visit, based on your IP address, is automatically logged. This information is used to see where the website or the BPMe App is being used in the world to ensure coverage, and for click stream analysis to help better understand and design our websites and the BPMe App.
- Cookies - Short text files called “cookies” may be automatically downloaded to your computer or mobile device. Cookies enable us to provide you with a better experience by enabling the website or app to know that you have visited before and in some cases to record preferences in order to personalise your visit. Cookies also assist us to analyse the profile of our visitors. These can be session cookies which are deleted when you close your browser and/or persistent cookies which remain on your computer or mobile device for a longer period of time.
To delete or stop cookies being placed on your computer refer to the help menu on your internet browser. Not all cookies used in connection with our BPMe App can be disabled. In a few cases blocking cookies may reduce the functionality of some sites or the BPMe App or otherwise prevent access to them depending on your chosen browser options.
For further information visit www.aboutcookies.org.
Privacy Act and other applicable law
We may also collect, use, hold and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act and any other applicable law.
Our website and the BPMe App may contain links to other websites which are outside our control and are not covered by this Privacy Statement.
If you access other sites using the links provided, the operators of these sites may collect information from you which will be used by them in accordance with their privacy statement, which may differ from ours. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website.
3. BPMe Privacy Statement
If you have downloaded the BPMe App, you have consented to the following additional privacy statements.
The general terms contained in this Privacy Statement (see section 2) also apply to you. In the event of any inconsistency, the terms of this additional BPMe App Privacy Statement will apply.
Collection of personal information
We collect personal information you provide directly to us when you create or modify your BPMe App account and use the services provided on the BPMe App (“BPMe Services”).
When you use the BPMe App, we also collect the following information about you:
- Location information: when you use the Pay in Car and Find a BP BPMe Services, we collect information about your geographic location and exact positioning. Without this location data we cannot provide these services to you.
If you permit the BPMe App to access location services through the permission system used by your mobile operating system, we may also collect the precise location of your device when the BPMe App is running in the foreground or background. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
- Transaction information: we collect transaction details related to your use of the BPMe Services, including the type and value of service requested, and date and time.
- Usage and preference information: we collect information about the way you use the BPMe App, and any other information tied directly or indirectly to your device. You may also be able to save certain settings in the BPMe App manually. This allows us to improve your experience while using the BPMe App (for example, the BPMe App may use such information to set certain settings automatically, such as the fuel type you use in relation to the Pay in Car BPMe Service).
- Device information: we may collect information about your mobile device, including, for example, the IP address of your device, the hardware model, operating system and version, software and file names, who your mobile network operator is and other mobile network information.
- Third party information: in relation to the Pay in Car BPMe Service, we collect the email address that you choose to send your fuel receipt to.
- Aggregated and anonymised data.
Most mobile platforms (such as iOS and Android) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without your consent. These platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The operating system used by your mobile device will notify you of the permissions the BPMe App seeks before it accesses certain types of device data.
We may also collect personal information from other sources and combine that information with personal information we collect through the BPMe Services, for example, if you choose to link, create, or log in to your BPMe App account with a payment provider (e.g., Google Wallet) or social media (e.g., Facebook), or if you engage with a separate app or website that uses our API (or whose API we use), we may receive information about you or your connections from that site or app.
Use of personal information
We may use your personal information or data collected in connection with your use of the BPMe App for the purposes set out in Section 2 above and for the following purposes:
- to verify your identity for use of the BPMe App (including in relation to Pay in Car BPMe Service, to allow the ultimate account holder of your BP Fuelcard to authorise your use of the Pay in Car BPMe Service) and to conduct address verification or credit checks for invoicing and billing purposes;
- to improve and enrich your experience while using the BPMe App and search ability, including for the purposes of troubleshooting crashes of the BPMe App;
- to facilitate the payment for products and services purchased by you through the BPMe App;
- to assist in identifying offers available to you and providing such offers to you through the BPMe App;
- to assist in providing better services to you by tailoring the BPMe App and BPMe App Services to meet your needs; and
- to keep the BPMe App relevant and of interest to its users.
Depending on your mobile device, you may be able to turn off push notifications through your mobile device’s settings.
Disclosure of personal information
We may disclose personal information collected in connection with your use of the BPMe App:
- in accordance with section 2 above;
- in relation to the Pay in Car BPMe Service, to the ultimate account holder of your BP Fuelcard. However, we will only disclose your name, email address, mobile number and BP Fuelcard number to the ultimate account holder. We will not disclose your password or passcode; and
- to any third party service provider whose software and services are used in connection with the BPMe App (see section “Third party software” below).
Third party software
The BPMe App uses various third party software components and services, including software and applications installed on your mobile device or used by your mobile device’s native operating system (“Third Party Software”) to provide the BPMe Services to you.
By using the BPMe App, you are deemed to agree to:
- BP’s use of such Third Party Software through the BPMe App;
- disclosure of your personal information to and collection of your personal information by the relevant third parties; and
- applicable Third Party Privacy Policies.
Retention and deletion of personal information
The deletion of the BPMe App from your device does not delete or erase the personal information or data we hold about you. If you would like BP to delete your BPMe App account, including all personal information or other data that we hold about you for the purposes of your BPMe App account, please contact BP.
4. Questions and Changes
Questions about your personal information
Under the Privacy Act, you have the right to access, and to request correction of, any personal information that we hold about you.
If you wish to do so, or have any questions relating to this Privacy Statement, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at:
BP National Office
73 Remuera Road
Attention: Privacy Officer
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We keep our Privacy Statement under regular review and we reserve the right to modify this Privacy Statement from time to time to reflect changes in the law, our use of information and other business activities and the services that we provide. If the changes do not disadvantage you we may notify you of the changes by publishing an updated version of this Privacy Statement on our website and it is your responsibility to review the current version of this Privacy Statement when you use our website and/or the BPMe App.
If we make any other changes, we will take additional steps to bring the changes to your attention, such as by providing you with notice of our updated Privacy Statement through BP’s BPMe App (where you have a BPMe App account), with a notice on our website or by other direct communication, such as email.
By continuing to use this website and/or the BPMe App after such changes have been made you are deemed to accept our updated Privacy Statement.
This Privacy Statement was last updated in October 2016.