- 15 March - Shah Deniz Stage 2 Quarters and Utilities (QU) platform jacket sailed away to the Shah Deniz contract area in the Caspian Sea from the Heydar Aliyev Baku Deepwater Jackets Factory (BDJF).
- 1 September - First Shah Deniz 2 platform jacket was sent offshore
- 18 May - The subsea construction vessel “Khankendi” was re-floated into the Caspian Sea at the Baku Shipyard quay
- 3 May - Shah Deniz partners awarded subsea installation contract
- 13 September - the two hull sections for a subsea construction vessel named Khankendi left Singapore heading to the Caspian Sea. Once completed the vessel will be deployed to the SD field
- 22 June - Shah Deniz awarded two further contracts in support of the development of future flanks following first gas in 2018
- 18 November - two new contracts in the value of $226 million awarded for Shah Deniz Stage 2 (SD2)
- 1 October - two new contracts awarded for SD2. The contracts in the value of approximately US$200 million are for subsea flow-line coating and early subsea export line coating.
- 20 September - the first piece of the pipe for the South Caucasus Pipeline Expansion project (SCPX) was laid in a ground-breaking ceremony at the Sangachal terminal
- 26 May - SCPX construction contract awarded
- 22 May - SCPX pipe coating contract awarded
- 29 April - major SD offshore installation contract awarded
- 10 April - SD awarded jackets, subsea fabrication and supply contracts for Stage 2
- 19 March - SD awarded further key Stage 2 contracts
- 17 December – Shah Deniz announced the final investment decision.
- 19 September – Shah Deniz concluded the gas sales agreements with European buyers.
- 30 July – BP acquired a 20% interest in the TAP pipeline.
- 28 June – Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP) is selected as a transportation route to Europe.
- 18 January – BP, SOCAR, Statoil and Total signed an equity option and cooperation agreements with Nabucco shareholders.
- 1 August - BP, SOCAR and Total signed a Funding Agreement with TAP including an option for Shah Deniz
- 26 June - Governments of Azerbaijan and of Turkey signed an intergovernmental agreement to build a new Trans Anatolian Pipeline (TANAP).
- 26 June - Shah Deniz (SD) Stage 1 achieved record production rate – 905 million standard cubic feet per day.
- 17 April - SD started the Front End Engineering and Design (FEED) of the second stage of the project.
- 5 October - 1 trillion standard cubic feet of total gas production from SD was reached.
- 25 October - BP, State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR) and SD co-venturers signed the gas sales and transit agreements with Turkey and a technical cooperation agreement with BOTAS to accompany a new intergovernmental agreement between Azerbaijan and Turkey.
- 13 January - European Commission and Government of Azerbaijan signed a Joint Declaration on the Southern Gas Corridor.
- 11 November - BP, SOCAR and SD co-venturers signed a five year extension to the Shah Deniz production sharing agreement (PSA) from 2031 to 2036.
- 26 June - Training of the SD workforce commenced in the Caspian Technical Training Centre.
- 7 June - Governments of Azerbaijan and Turkey signed the Memorandum of Understanding on SD Stage 2.
- 28 January - 5th appraisal well drilled as part of Stage 2 to get better understanding of the reservoir.
- 14 November - Major discovery of a new high pressure reservoir in a deeper structure of the SD field.
- 4 July - SD gas flows to Turkey.
- 15 December - Gas production start-up.
- 1 June - SCP commissioning commenced.
- 28 April - SD platform Alpha deployed offshore.
- April - SD Stage 1 subsea pipelay completed.
- 16 September - SD Stage 1 subsea pipelay commenced.
- 22 August - Fourth pre-drill well spudded.
- 1 November - SD platform Alpha platform hull arrived in Azerbaijan.
- 14 October - SCP construction commenced in Azerbaijan.
- 29 September - Drilling Equipment Set for SD platform Alpha arrived Azerbaijan.
- 26 July - SD Alpha platform hull loaded from Singapore.
- 23 February - Third pre-drill well spudded.
- 30 January - First SCP pipe arrives in Azerbaijan.
- 3 November - SD construction started at Sangachal terminal.
- 26 September - Second pre-drill well spudded.
- 21 July - SD strikes steel for platform construction in Singapore.
- 5 June - SD Stage 1 construction contracts awarded.
- 21 April - First pre-drill well spudded.
- 11 March - Istiglal semi-submersible rig sails away to work on SD.
- 27 February - Sanction of the SD Stage 1 that includes construction of offshore platform and new gas export system - the South Caucasus Pipeline- from Azerbaijan through Georgia to the Turkish border.
- 14 March - The Government of Georgia and SD partners sign Host Government Agreement for the transit, transportation and sale of natural gas, marking the transition into the final stage of engineering, tendering and commercial development work.
- 21 February - The Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan and SD partners sign Host Government Agreement for the transit, transportation and sale of natural gas, marking the transition into the final stage of engineering, tendering and commercial development work.
- 29 September - Officials representing Azerbaijan and Georgia signed an Intergovernment Agreement and related accords for the transit, transportation and sale of natural gas. The execution of the documents is witnessed by President Shevardnadze and President Aliyev.
- 12 March - Officials representing Azerbaijan and Turkey signed an Intergovernmental Agreement and a Sale and Purchase Agreement in Ankara to enable Turkey to buy gas from Azerbaijan. The execution of the documents is witnessed by President Sezer and President Aliyev.
- May - Shah Deniz gas field discovered
- 4 October - The Azerbaijan Parliament ratified the PSA.
- 4 June - SOCAR and foreign oil companies signed the Agreement on the Exploration, Development and Production Sharing (PSA) for the SD Prospective area in the Azerbaijan sector of the Caspian Sea.