We aspire to be a valued, trusted and long-term partner in the development of Azerbaijan’s hydrocarbon resources.
BP first arrived in Azerbaijan and opened its first office in Baku in June 1992. Over the past 25 years, in partnership with the Government of Azerbaijan and our co-venturers, BP-operated world-class projects – Azeri-Chirag-Gunashli (ACG), Shah Deniz, Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) and South Caucasus Pipeline (SCP) – have contributed to the development of the Caspian Sea as a modern hydrocarbon province. These have been remarkable years accompanied by numerous unique and significant milestones based on safe, responsible and efficient operations. We as the operator of the above-mentioned projects, and our co-venturers are proud of the multitude of great achievements and successes of the past months and years along the 25-year delivery journey.
All these successes stem from the excellent partnership we have built here and our long-term commitment to the country as a reliable partner. This commitment has:
- contributed to a strong and growing economy;
- provided a substantial new revenue stream for the state of Azerbaijan that underpins the amazing economic growth;
- made a major contribution to the new commercial links that the county is building with the rest of the world;
- has driven a revitalised modern technology based offshore hydrocarbon production sector;
- has created one of the world’s most modern oil and gas processing plants and world-class construction and fabrication facilities;
- has contributed to social development by creating tens of thousands of job opportunities;
- has supported capacity-building, training, educational development and a generally enhanced national capability and skill base;
- has fostered sustainable development in hundreds of rural communities;
- has supported development of cultural heritage and sport.
We take great pride in our presence in the region and as a reliable long term partner we will continue to safely and efficiently operate ACG, Shah Deniz 1 and 2, new development and exploration projects, creating new local jobs and new opportunities for social development.
Azeri-Chirag-Gunashli: more than 3 billion barrels in total produced
We remain committed to Azerbaijan’s future helping the country maintain its role as one of the world’s major energy suppliers and create cleaner energy links with Europe.
We will build on this unique experience and knowledge to successfully deliver new projects in this basin – ACG’s further development, SWAP, Shafag-Asiman and other potential projects. With our 25 year long track record of successful delivery as the leading operator in the Caspian, we are uniquely positioned to develop these world-class projects safely , reliably and efficiently.
The scale of our business: In the Caspian, we operate two giant fields –the Azeri-Chirag-Gunashli (ACG) oil and the Shah Deniz (SD) gas fields. These are directly linked to local and international markets via a large export system which includes a complex subsea pipeline infrastructure connected with one of the biggest onshore oil and gas terminals in the world – the Sangachal terminal, three export pipelines with a total length of 3,300 km connected with marine export systems on the Black and Mediterranean Seas. As a safe and reliable operator, we will continue to invest in projects that meet international energy standards, bringing the industry’s most complex and advanced technologies and expertise to the Caspian.
Shah Deniz: more than 78 billion standard cubic metres in total produced